Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great movie & publicity stills
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 am 
Charioteer

I would love to see a painting by you of Yma Sumac in SECRET OF THE INCAS. She's a colourful personality - an artist's dream to put on canvas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:24 pm 
El Cid

James Byrne wrote:
Chrysagon, thanks for the great photo tribute to SECRET OF THE INCAS and ARROWHEAD...

You're welcome, James. I think big, high quality photos from INCAS are scarce compared to most of Chuck's other films; maybe I didn't look hard enough, but I did look around quite a bit...

tizzyd wrote:
Oh lovely! I haven't yet seen 'Arrowhead'.... is it Jack Palance that Heston has lifted in that picture? The face is not shown clearly. Anyway, to lift a man like that is something ---:roll: :o

Yes, that is indeed Palance that Heston is lifting, based on what I know and remember - it's kind of a spoiler so I didn't mention it in the previous post. Heston was obviously a powerful man in real life, especially in his younger days I would think (he still looked tough & strong as late as the 1970s). He didn't buff himself up like Stallone or Schwarzenegger, but I think he did his best to stay in shape to stay in tune with his large size. There were other films where actors had to carry other actors like this, such as WARLOCK (1959), in which Henry Fonda had to carry a dead Anthony Quinn. In that one, the camera pulled in close so that we couldn't see who or what was obviously helping Fonda accomplish this; this was not needed with Heston... :D

Speaking of Heston's younger days, let's go back to his earliest movie stills, when he was very young, starting with PEER GYNT (early 1940s)...
Image Image

And then to 1950, for JULIUS CAESAR...
ImageImage

ImageImage
________________ Image
_______________________ Image<is this Heston? Hard to Say...

Last edited by Chrysagon on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:49 am 
El Cid

Chrysagon wrote:
Heston was obviously a powerful man in real life, especially in his younger days I would think (he still looked tough & strong as late as the 1970s). He didn't buff himself up like Stallone or Schwarzenegger, but I think he did his best to stay in shape to stay in tune with his large size. There were other films where actors had to carry other actors like this, such as WARLOCK (1959), in which Henry Fonda had to carry a dead Anthony Quinn. In that one, the camera pulled in close so that we couldn't see who or what was obviously helping Fonda accomplish this; this was not needed with Heston... :D

is this Heston? Hard to Say...

As for all this discussion about lifting a co-actor, i would like to add that you just remember the scene where Moses lifted a fatigued and fainting Joshua. That was done within a wink of the eyes and so swiftly. If you remember closely, Joshua (I forget the actor's name) didn't relaxed his body enough, he remained stiff, even though he was acting of a swoon, perhaps he was a bit nervous to give himself up totally on Chuck... :lol: but he could have depended on him, really.

Nice pictures, but I am also doubtful about the last pic, that's a Roman general from 'Julius Caesar', but it looks more like the actor who played Octavious.

Chrysagon, where did you get the olive-crowned Ben-Hur picture after the race, as black and white? As it appears, any naive person would think that it is from Julius Caesar... ha ha.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:15 am 
El Cid

itsjudah24 wrote:
Nice pictures, but I am also doubtful about the last pic, that's a Roman general from 'Julius Caesar', but it looks more like the actor who played Octavious.

Chrysagon, where did you get the olive-crowned Ben-Hur picture after the race, as black and white? As it appears, any naive person would think that it is from Julius Caesar... ha ha.

A mix-up... I plugged in the correct picture. Judah is referring to this pic:
Image Where did I get it? Wish I knew.. :-?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 am 
Astronaut

Another publicity still from 'Ben-Hur' taken on April 29, 1958, at Cinecitta studios in Rome, Italy. The site also has an interview held at that time, I am going to post that in the 'Interviews' thread under General Discussions.

Attachments:
in costume.jpg
in costume.jpg [ 15.16 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 am 
El Cid

Here is a try at something different... rather than post stills from one film, I'll feature some from several Heston films. As we all know, the majority of Heston's roles were historical - characters in some mythic or dim past, in a past century or at least several decades in the past, as well as a few in some fantastic future. In this post, I focus on his few contemporary roles, when he played a 'modern' male; there aren't that many. I won't label these; I'm sure members here know what these are - let's see who figures these out first (one hint - I excluded his noirs, DARK CITY & TOUCH OF EVIL):
Image Image
__ Image ___ Image
Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

______ Image Image
______Image Image

___________Image Image

_______________Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:29 pm 
El Cid

It could be argued that Heston's Robert Neville role was another contemporary role, a modern society character; the story took place only a few years after the 1971 year of release (of THE OMEGA MAN), still in the seventies. Note also that Heston projected the image of an urbane gentleman in some scenes, his character's way of coping with being the last man and the end of civilization:
_________ Image

And note how several scenes emphasized the ever-present chessboard:
ImageImage

_______ Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:11 pm 
El Cid

Chrysagon wrote:
...I won't label these; I'm sure members here know what these are - let's see who figures these out first (one hint - I excluded his noirs, DARK CITY & TOUCH OF EVIL):

Well, let me try-- I am sure about 'The Greatest Show on Earth', 'Secret of the Incas', 'The Wreck of Mary Deare,', 'Skyjacked' and 'The Private War of Major Benson'. I haven't seen 'Lucy Gallant' but I think he played a modern man there, too. Is there any from 'Ruby Gentry'? I haven't seen this one, too. Where the Rugby-playing pics are from, Chrysagon?

And I think Andrew Jackson can also be considered as a 'modern' character... so, how about creating a photo-tribute to 'The President's Lady'?

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:39 pm 
El Cid

Judah wrote:
I am sure about 'The Greatest Show on Earth', 'Secret of the Incas', 'The Wreck of Mary Deare,', 'Skyjacked' and 'The Private War of Major Benson'. I haven't seen 'Lucy Gallant' but I think he played a modern man there, too. Is there any from 'Ruby Gentry'? I haven't seen this one, too. Where the Rugby-playing pics are from, Chrysagon?

Nice try, Judah - at least you gave it the old college try :lol: Actually, there are no pics from Secret of the Incas in that spread - not sure why I skipped that one. There's one from Ruby Gentry next to The Wreck of the Mary Deare. The first couple are from Bad For Each Other; the last few are from Earthquake and Two Minute Warning. There are couple of Airport 1975 ones mixed with Skyjacked. The Rugby-playing pics are from Number One.

Judah wrote:
And I think Andrew Jackson can also be considered as a 'modern' character... so, how about creating a photo-tribute to 'The President's Lady'?

We have a different view of what is modern, Judah. To me, modern is now and most of the 20th century. Anything before that - like the 19th century - is another era. For example, The Hawaiians takes place much later than The President's Lady, in the late 19th century, but it certainly does not come across as modern to me; it's a completely different time, with sailing ships and very different ways.

But, I do agree with you that The President's Lady deserves a photo spread:

ImageImage

ImageImage
__________ Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:25 pm 
Astronaut

What about 'My Father, Rua Alguem 555' ? It is post -World-War 2. I Haven't seen it, but have read so many good reviews on it.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next