Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Gray Lady Down
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:12 am 
No Water For Me

Also I just cant help but to think about the Russian sub that was lost a few years ago and all hands on were left to die at the bottom of the ocean. It seems like maybe in a way this movie could be a little big about them in an esoteric way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

It does have a story that could have been based on something that happened, with the typical Hollywood touch, but I don't believe I've ever read anything of the sort.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:56 pm 
Prince Judah

Welcome kimpunkrock. But what's that link you have given? I am not able to open it...

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 am 
No Water For Me

Someone over on IMDB said this had 50 minutes cut out of it before release, and that Heston referenced this in "In The Arena." I have that book but it's packed away - don't recall him writing about it - anyone have a copy handy that they can check?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:43 am 
Prince Judah

A-Ha, well, if that's true, then it makes sense to me because it backs up my own guess earlier in this thread that about 20 minutes were cut out. I keep going back to Rosemary Forsyth's role; she's credited in a co-starring role in this film but appears only for a few seconds without even saying anything - at least, that's all I remember of her actual role. This tells me that a couple of her scenes must have been cut.

I have the book, 'In The Arena' - I'll try to read the pertaining passage in it tomorrow, if it exists. Welcome to the forum, btw.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I think I've read something along those lines over at IMDb as well. Would be interesting if we could get a Director's Cut version, or something.

Welcome to the forum, Matt!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 am 
Prince Judah

I glanced through my copy of In the Arena and then decided to simply use the index in back, looking up Gray Lady Down pages. It seems that Chuck skipped over this film when going over his career and then merely mentioned the film very briefly towards the end of the book. However, this brief passage does pertain to the subject at hand (cutting the film length down):

So, according to Chuck, all the scenes involving a Soviet subplot were cut out, unless he means they were never filmed in the first place. Since he is so brief about this, it's tough to say exactly what the real story is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 am 
Call Me Harry

Just watched it. Thought it was a good, well made, straight forward thriller with a just-the-facts-ma'am attitude, with Chuck in good form as the admiral. It was unintentionally funny seeing the late Christopher Reeve (RIP) in the supporting role of 'Phillips'; I kept expecting him to turn into Superman and fly down into the water to rescue the sub himself, dropping it off on land somewhere (which could only work in a Silver-Bronze Age style movie) with that signature smile of his.

Interestingly, Ned Beatty, who appears in this film as Mickey, was also in the first two Superman films as Otis. And on that note - Chuck was said to have been offered the role of Jor-El in the Superman films before they went with Marlon Brando. Now nothing against Brando, but Chuck would have been a closer match for being the father of Chris Reeve's Superman in terms of physicality and facial structure. Just saying. ;)

Chrysagon wrote:
I glanced through my copy of In the Arena and then decided to simply use the index in back, looking up Gray Lady Down pages. It seems that Chuck skipped over this film when going over his career and then merely mentioned the film very briefly towards the end of the book. However, this brief passage does pertain to the subject at hand (cutting the film length down):

So, according to Chuck, all the scenes involving a Soviet subplot were cut out, unless he means they were never filmed in the first place. Since he is so brief about this, it's tough to say exactly what the real story is.

I seem to remember Chuck didn't talk about much about GLD either; never would have guessed there was a missing subplot about Soviet adversaries. I just assumed it was because that was sort of near the end of his leading man days and it wasn't one of his bigger hits.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:31 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

He was really rumored? That's funny, because there was a thread on IMDb where someone mentioned that Chuck would have been much more suited for the part, and everyone seemed to agree. I think it would have been great and worked wonderfully. I doubt Chuck would have gotten the 1 million dollar paycheck Brando got for the gig though, which shocked everyone in Hollywood.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Presently watching this film. So far, its great. Love the special effects and drama. More to type later. Got to finish watching the rest of it :).