Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Earthquake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Mark Robson
Production year: 1974
Starring: Charlton Heston, Ava Gardner, George Kennedy

Plot:

Construction Engineer Stuart Graff is estranged from his jealously possessive wife, Remy, and has an affair with Denise Marshall, the widow of a co-worker. Meanwhile, Remy tries to persuade her father, Sam Royce, who is Stuart's employer, to use his influence to stop Stuart from seeing Denise. Rogue policeman Lew Slade is suspended from the L.A.P.D. for having punched an obtuse officer from another jurisdiction. Embittered, Slade contemplates quitting the police force. Jody, a perverted grocery store manager, lusts after Rosa Amici, sister of Sal, the assistant to Miles Quade, an aspiring daredevil motor cyclist. The lives of all these people are devastated when a major earthquake rips through Los Angeles and reduces the city to ruins.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_BwX2fEUTo

Post subject: Re: Earthquake
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:13 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Earthquake. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:29 am 
Marabunta

I saw this film when it came out. The critics were less than kind and they were wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:16 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

You're right, lovelyrita. I really like this one. When I first saw it I wasn't too impressed, but I feel it's the kind of movie that gets better on repeated viewings. I like it quite a bit nowadays. Far from his best work, but damn entertaining. George Kennedy being in it doesn't hurt things, either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 am 
Marabunta

When this movie was first released it was the disaster picture era and this one was made at its conclusion, it certainly does get better with each viewing and frankly I liked it when I first saw it, no not one of his best but still okay..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspaper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - 1974.

Attachments:
earthquake.png
earthquake.png [ 439.96 KiB | Viewed 3255 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:01 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Pretty damn cool that they warn the moviegoers in the ad, about the Sensurround.

God, I wish I could have seen this when it came out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Pretty damn cool that they warn the moviegoers in the ad, about the Sensurround.

God, I wish I could have seen this when it came out.

Careful what you wish for - you might have been struck by plaster falling from the ceiling,
so the warnings may not have been enuff... :lol:

(I'm kidding - but Heston himself mentioned this problem at a screening he attended; I don't remember where I read this - one of his books, probably. I've long wondered if this is why Sensurround was used on so few films, like Rollercoaster and maybe Midway going by memory - due to the damage to theaters. One can imagine theater owners/operators lodging complaints about this)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:54 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Come to think of it, if it were somehow possible, I think it could have been cool to have some props laying around in the theater that would fall down/move during the earthquake scenes in the movie. That plus the chairs moving would have made the impact much greater.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:19 am 
Prince Judah

I checked out most of this one again; as with a few of these big disaster pictures, it's re-watchable for me. It was competing with THE TOWERING INFERNO back in 1974, but has some unexpected similarities; the music score sounded familiar to me and it's by John Williams, who also scored Inferno. Williams seemed to score almost all the big films.

For me, the key scene is when the characters played by Heston and George Kennedy (the cop) finally meet; they're the two heroes of the film and it's almost like a waiting game until they run across each other. I also noted how, at one point, Heston's character expresses guilt over his profession, saying that "we should have never built those 40-story monstrosities" - not in that area; it's similar to Paul Newman's guilt as the architect in Inferno. Guilt plays a large part in many Hollywood screenplays - more so after the fifties and especially in the past couple of decades. There's always that trace of a lecture to all the bigshots in the real world, warning them not to prize money over all else; of course, no one in Hollywood considers money to be important.. :roll:

The one storypoint I've always wondered about is the whole idea of someone at the Seismological Institute figuring out how to predict an earthquake - right before the big one happens. I don't get why this was put in - there are scenes of the mayor getting a call and being informed, so he can at least prepare for the disaster. We can't predict quakes even now. But in this story, those in charge are forewarned. I think it would have been more effective if everyone was taken by surprise by the quake, instead of those in charge making preparations just before it happens; I think this took the edge off the whole disaster. The scary thing about quakes is that no one knows when they'll hit.