Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earthquake
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:33 pm 
Astronaut

That TV version of EARTHQUAKE reminds me more of SKYJACKED, than its namesake.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:42 am 
Call Me Harry

I really wanted this to be part of my February Netflix viewing but it's listed as "Very Long Wait". ARGH! Gonna have to keep an eye out for it on TV... Antony & Cleopatra should still be available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:03 am 
Call Me Harry

Finally watched "Earthquake". It was good for what it was, and served as yet another good showcase for Chuck's ability to play normal guys as well as larger than life heroes.

Seems they had plans for doing a sequel that would have picked up where "Earthquake" left off focusing on the surviving characters, but it never got off the ground. Probably just as well, since the story didn't really lend itself to a sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:39 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Had you not seen it before, EL-CID?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
Had you not seen it before, EL-CID?

Nope, first time ever watching it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:13 am 
Prince Judah

Chrysagon wrote:
The one storypoint I've always wondered about is the whole idea of someone at the Seismological Institute figuring out how to predict an earthquake - right before the big one happens. I don't get why this was put in - there are scenes of the mayor getting a call and being informed, so he can at least prepare for the disaster. We can't predict quakes even now. But in this story, those in charge are forewarned. I think it would have been more effective if everyone was taken by surprise by the quake, instead of those in charge making preparations just before it happens; I think this took the edge off the whole disaster. The scary thing about quakes is that no one knows when they'll hit.

I stand by what I wrote I few years ago. I just had that experience again here in northern California; we were hit with 6.0 quake just the other day, centered around the city of Napa. I'm about 50 miles from the epicenter so by the time the quake reached me, it was more like a 5.0, but much of the fear of such an event revolves around the lack of expectation, the surprise. Even the more mild, weak version of such a quake - like what I just experienced - can be scary, as the ground suddenly starts to sway under your feet or (since it was after 3 AM in the middle of the night) it starts to sway your bed. It seems to last a long time, but in reality was only about 10 seconds. But, it's that surprise, the totally unexpected.

I can't really imagine what a 9.9 Quake would feel like (supposedly what was measured in the film, though some sources state it was an 8.9), which would be many times worse. And even though I've lived in 'earthquake country' all my life, I still don't expect it. The last big one I felt was in 1989 - that one was a 6.9; I still remember it well. I was walking in the middle of a street when it hit and, for a few seconds, it felt like the wrath of God had come upon us and the end was there. What's a little crazy is that my automobile was parked in one of those huge garages and, after some hesitation, I ran back in there to drive away, even though I knew there was a chance that the whole thing might collapse. :shock: I had, after all, already seen the Heston film by that time, more than once; I knew full well that certain structures may not be safe afterwards. But, I wanted to get home quickly and was a lot younger, so maybe I was more rash... :-?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

When these quakes happen, do stuff fall out of your shelves and such?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:56 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
When these quakes happen, do stuff fall out of your shelves and such?

Not in this latest one - I was too far away from the center of the quake and it was too weak where I am. But, yes, it did happen with the one in '89. I lived in a 3rd story apartment back then so the swaying was probably made even worse by being high off the ground floor. I wasn't home when it happened which might have been better for me. I rushed home quickly, was there in 10 minutes. One bookshelf had fallen over completely and its upper end was propped up by a desk. I'd had a bunch of comic books stacked on this shelf (only later did I place them in boxes) and many of them did not fare well with this fall - scattered over the floor. There were a couple of other small items fallen off other place spots. I think a record player had also fallen to the floor off a small table. I'm kind of glad I wasn't in the apartment when it happened because it probably would have been a nerve-wracking experience - at least for 10 seconds or so. I think that things start to fall off like that when the quake gets past 5.5 on the scale and you're in the middle of it. This latest one felt like a 5.0 by the time it reached my area. But, where it did hit hardest - a 6.0 in Napa - there has been a lot of monetary damage, including wine bottles falling and breaking. That's been a lot in the news - all those wine bottles and kegs (that's wine country besides being earthquake country).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:33 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I could never live in LA because of those quakes, even though they are rare. Too many collectibles I would be devastated get ruined like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm 
Call Me Harry

Okay I'm guessing everyone here has already seen the film so we don't have to bother with spoiler tags, so I'll get to the point:

Originally George Kennedy's character was supposed to die and Charlton Heston's character was supposed to live, but Chuck objected and asked that it be changed to have his character, Graff the architect, die trying to save his wife, though the reasons vary depending on what source you ask (some sources claim Chuck disliked the idea of his character surviving with his mistress as he found it immoral while other sources claim that Chuck thought it would be more shocking and emotional for the audience if he, the main character, died). This is why the cop played by Kennedy survives at the end, and the last line spoken by him was originally intended for Chuck.

Now if they had stuck to the original ending with Chuck living and Kennedy dying, would that have made the ending less shocking or touching?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next