Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earthquake
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:38 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Come to think of it, if it were somehow possible, I think it could have been cool to have some props laying around in the theater that would fall down/move during the earthquake scenes in the movie.

There's an article on EARTHQUAKE in the magazine CINEMA RETRO #20 (Spring, 2011); it mentions a few discarded ideas by the studio. One of these was to bounce huge chunks of styrofoam debris off the heads of audience members (this is not truly innovative as gimmick producer/director William Castle did similar tricks with his low budget horror films in the late fifties/early sixties).

Other ideas (all not used): use live actors who would seemingly emerge from the screen carnage on stage during the disaster sequences; and, use a slide projection system to flash photos of quake destruction on the theater's side walls.

I also read up on Sensurround in the same magazine: only five films in all used Sensurround - the first, for which it was specially developed, was EARTHQUAKE, followed by MIDWAY (weird coincidence that these first two both starred Heston); then ROLLERCOASTER (1977) and finally in two BATTLESTAR GALACTICA films (the 2nd one was called MISSION GALACTICA, rushed out later in the same year of 1978).

There was a 6th film, ZOOT SUIT, which was presented in "70mm Sensurround Plus" in 1981, but it was not true Sensurround, lacking the rumble effect and the special horns built for the speakers. This film was a flop.

And the reason that this gimmick was in so few films...? Expense, of course; it was just too expensive to continue with. However, it may qualify as more than just a gimmick, from a historical perspective. The process was also a pioneering effort, as it influenced how films are presented today; starting in 1976/1977, films were presented in "70mm Dolby Stereo" - a superior sound experience - and this subwoofer concept of deep powerful bass can be traced back to Sensurround.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Very interesting. Seeing Earthquake with those things added, it would have been an even more awesome experience.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:55 am 
Prince Judah

Yeah 'indeed'! It would feel like experiencing the Doomsday in your lifetime.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:59 pm 
Astronaut

I was watching this via youtube, and there is a funny comment posted-- "The real earthquake begins when Charlton Heston is out on jogging". HEE HEE HEE...

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 am 
Prince Judah

I just came across an old British film from 1957, titled THE NIGHT THE WORLD EXPLODED. In the first act, a seismologist has just finished developing a method to predict an earthquake. He has determined that a big quake will strike California is 24 hours. He and a colleague go to warn the governor, who cannot assign costly measures to prepare for such a quake just on their say-so, because no one has been able to predict earthquakes until now.

Sound familiar? It should if you've seen EARTHQUAKE. I now wonder if the writers and producers didn't copy the story in EARTHQUAKE from this 1957 film. See for yourselves:

Myself, I would prefer a film in which no one knew an earthquake was about to happen and even the people in charge are taken by surprise. :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:44 am 
Prince Judah

I came across some news about a possible new EARTHQUAKE film at the site whatculture.com - http://whatculture.com/film/jj-abrams-t ... remble.php

According to this, JJ Abrams of new Star Trek fame is set to make the Earth shake...
Quote:
J.J. Abrams latest epic idea is an earthquake disaster movie, a movie he has setup to produce at Universal with the writer of the ORIGINAL horror classic The Omen attached to adapt.

Plot and title specifics are being kept firmly under wraps but just like Cloverfield, it’s expected the characters will be the main driving force of the picture and not the disaster itself.

The Hollywood Reporter say the film is not a remake of Universal’s own Charlton Heston/Ava Gardner highly gimmicked 1974 disaster movie Earthquake.

But seen as though they brought it up, here’s the trailer for that movie… [youtubeGKiApY_U3kA]

Are Earthquake movies really that interesting?

Read more at http://whatculture.com/film/jj-abrams-t ... B9LsySH.99

I find this poster/painting at the site rather odd; it looks like it's taking place in the sixties:
or maybe even the fifties, before even the time frame of the Heston EARTHQUAKE film.

This bit of news should also be regarded as iffy because Abrams is set to direct the new Star Wars sequel,
though Abrams might just be producing a new EARTHQUAKE film, not directing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:07 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, sounds a bit iffy indeed since if he won't also direct the next Star Trek film, he will definitely be producing it. A lot on his plate, in other words. Perhaps too much to give it his best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:56 am 
Prince Judah

Here's some footage from the TV version of EARTHQUAKE:

This is from the televised version which had new scenes added in and previously excised scenes reinserted. Note the short scene of the guy on a motorcycle trying to pick up Victoria Principal's character; that's actor Reb Brown, who became pretty well known in the late seventies to the early eighties. I actually watched this version when it aired on TV back in '76. I remember the new scenes in an airplane with two new characters, a young couple (you can see them in the above footage). These scenes were very slow and very boring, almost like killing time. I think the young wife kept trying to start a silly conversation with her hubby and he mostly tried to ignore her - very dull. Their scenes hinged on the eventual danger of the airplane about to land on an air strip which is in process of being wrecked by the quake. I think the pilots decide to not try a landing... yes, quite exciting...

Also, check out the husband's dialog at the end of the clip - how he will help rebuild L.A. - it is to laugh :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That was some horrible acting and writing. What were they thinking?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:16 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
That was some horrible acting and writing. What were they thinking?!

They probably weren't (thinking). It was all probably a rush job - it's not an easy thing to actually write, film and produce new footage for such a film, with a deadline of an eventual air date on TV. In fact, a lot of this struck me as 'first draft' kind of material, no time for rewrites or fine-tuning, especially that last scene with the husband & wife which you refer to. It comes across as amateurish. They probably rushed the directing, as well, with no time for 3rd or 4th takes.

Just to clarify: not all the new material was actually new; most of it was, but a couple of short scenes were actually old scenes from the original version which didn't make it to the final edited version (cut out or cut scenes). One of these was that scene of the guy on the motorcycle; that was filmed during the filming of the original film and was cut just before the film's release (probably deemed as unnecessary to the plot).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next