Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Dark City
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 am 
Michelangelo

Heston's first Hollywood movie: Dark city

Film Noir Musicals: Lizabeth Scott in DARK CITY

:popcorn: :cheers:

Post subject: Re: Dark City
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 am 
Cheating Bastard

Was just going to start a thread on this. Saw it for the first time ever recently. Think it was the only Heston film I never saw growing up. The movie stands up well and I'm surprised at how well Heston commanded the screen in his very first studio film. Nice little fight scene with Mike Mazurki at the climax as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 am 
Michelangelo

I fully agree with you, Major Dundee!

In the Film of Charlton Heston, Jeff Rovin wrote:
Quote:
Heston gives this role the detached sarcasmot needs. Everyone else is completely intense. Web and Morgan are dead serious; Scott is starry-eyed. Mr. Winant (Viveca Lindfors) waxes poetic........
Dark City is slick and well photographed. There is a strong sense of the lurking psychopathic menace throughout; Sid's determined swath of death is a fine counterpoint to Heston's nonchalance, which dissipates only when he is faced with the prospect of death.

Heston also mentioned about the little fight scene with Mike Mazurki in his In The Arena:
Quote:
I also remember a scene where I had to punch Mike Mazurki, a big man. Let me quality that. I'm a big man, Mike was big: six feet six and 250 pounds of muscle. Fortunately, he had a good heart as well. I wasn't used to film fights then; you do it a little differently on stage. I didn't stop my punch in time; it caught him right on the nose. He never blinked, but his eyes glowed red for a second. Then he lifted me off my feet very gently and held me, eye to eye. "At's all right, kid," he said softly. "Don't worry about it. You airn't got much of a punch anyway."

In Charlton Heston's Hollywood, Heston mentioned
Quote:
My first picture for Hal Wallis was a film noir. As films noir go, it wasn't bad. In fact, it was distinguished by the fact that it had several songs, so I suppose you could call it the only musical film noir ever made.
:popcorn:

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I was just about to post "I don't remember Heston in Dark City"

But there was a Dark City before this one... shows what I know...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:14 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Same thing happens to me on Ebay when I try to find the DVD, I always forget to add "Heston" in the search.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm 
Michelangelo

Dark City (1950) Lobby card

Plot (from wikipedia.org)
A group of hustlers take a man for $5000 in a poker game.When the man ends up killing himself, the heat is put on the gamblers in the game. The dead man's vengeful brother begins picking off the gamblers one by one.
More about the movies:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_City_(1950_film)

Director: William Dieterle
Producer: Hal B. Wallis

Distributed by Paramount Pictures
Release date(s) October 17, 1950
Running time 98 minutes

Cast
Charlton Heston -- Danny Haley
Lizabeth Scott -- Fran Garland
Viveca Lindfors -- Victoria Winant
Dean Jagger -- Capt. Garvey
Don DeFore -- Arthur Winant
Jack Webb -- Augie
Ed Begley -- Barney
Harry Morgan -- Soldier (as Henry Morgan)
Walter Sande -- Swede
Mark Keuning -- Billy Winant
Mike Mazurki -- Sidney Winant

Dark City DVD was released on 27 July 2010 (Region 1)
:applause: :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:14 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I watched Heston's "Dark City" last night. Found it on NetFlix. I had seen several clips from the movie, always of Liz Scott "singing", but never the whole movie. I found the movie a dark, edge of your seat, wonderfully classic film noir movie. I loved it! Heston was perfect. Young, handsome (beyond words!), and just rough enough to play the part of Danny Haley with perfection. I absolutely love black and white film and thought that this movie was very well done. I know it's out on DVD and plan to add it to my collection soon. If you haven't seen this movie, it would be worth you getting NetFlix, just to see it. This movie has an awesome cast, with top notch performances from all!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:28 am 
Prince Judah

As I'm sure everyone here knows, an official DVD of this film (Dark City) was finally released recently. I've seen it before once on TV and once on a DVD-R, and checked out the new DVD today. Heston appears in the very first shot of the film --
_________ Image

-- and it always struck me how he already acts like a big star here, even though it's his first pro film. He projects this confidence, as if he'd already been starring in films for the past decade. I know he'd done some TV and appeared in the David Bradley films already, but still...

Also, I noted how his credit "introducing Charlton Heston" appears first, before the other actors - again, as if he was a big star already. It was unusual, because those kind of 'introduction' credits are usually placed at the end or near the end of the cast credits. It was as if the producers (or whomever decides this) knew that he would be a big star for the next few decades.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:00 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm afraid, but I have seen that scene you are talking about through a Youtube fan video and I definitely agree. He's already commanding the screen in the very first scene of the movie. It's pretty amazing. It's his infamous screen-presence that very few have we're witnessing at work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:59 pm 
Prince Judah

It's kind of funny too how Heston towers over almost everyone in this film (the exceptions were Dean Jagger, playing a police detective, who was 6'2" ..and of course Mazurki). There's one scene early in the film, for example; Jack Webb (later on the Dragnet TV show) plays one of Heston's allies, but he's a weasel and Heston is always telling him to back off from picking on Harry Morgan's character (Morgan also went on to Dragnet). So, at one point, Heston stands up from a seated position to tell Webb to shut up again and he's a full head taller than Webb; all of a sudden, he's looming over Webb. Actually, he's looming over everyone in the room in that shot.
check this out -- http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3870065920/tt0042379

I don't know if it was a conscious decision to hire short actors for many of the roles or if it was just the way it turned out, but the result was that Heston came across as this really big man - really tall. Also, Jagger's character is constantly telling Heston how Heston doesn't fit in with such petty crime elements and lowlifes; and it's true; Heston seems out of place hanging out with these losers and small-time conmen. In his very next film role, in The Greatest Show on Earth, he would be beating up and throwing out such con artists.