Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Dark City
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 am 
Call Me Harry

Finally watched this film last night. An unusual selection for Heston's film debut, a film noir thriller, a rare chance to see old Chuck in a contemporary i.e. non-historical/biblical/sci-fi setting, playing a character very far removed from the likes of Ben-Hur & Moses yet in some ways closer in spirit to the anti-heroes he played in "Major Dundee" and "Planet of the Apes". You don't get to see Chuck with his hair slicked back often either. Makes you wonder all the more how well Chuck would have fared in a Hitchcock film...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Makes you wonder all the more how well Chuck would have fared in a Hitchcock film...

I know, right? I think that's the collaboration I would have liked to have seen the most.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:32 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Makes you wonder all the more how well Chuck would have fared in a Hitchcock film...

I know, right? I think that's the collaboration I would have liked to have seen the most.

As much fun as it would have been to watch Chuck get chased by the North By Northwest crop-duster, the Hitchcock film I most easily see him in is 1963's The Birds.

Back to Dark City, perhaps the most striking thing about Chuck's performance here is how damn jittery he is, in stark contrast to the loud, proud, more confident characters he would play later in his career.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:29 pm 
Astronaut

That is perfectly in keeping with the character's demand-- a young war-veteran, unemployed after the war, having no good job to do, falls among the squalor of the '50s city life underworld, though he is basically a good fellow and can't be as mean and petty as his co-gangsters and gamblers, often having remorse, depression, fear, guilt-feelings and all that pinches of conscience. He can't be loud or proud, and Heston uses what one calls 'underacting' a lot. The character looks less confident than the roles we usually know the man for, but Heston himself does not seem too uncomfortable, considering a bit of anxiety natural during one's earliest phase of career.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:34 pm 
Michelangelo

1990 AMC "Dark City" (1950) commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8moGGFo8M0Q

Dark City 1950
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_Dhtv7EoU

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:45 pm 
Prince Judah

I was just watching again, for the 4th or 5th time, an old unusual western from 1968 which also functions as a murder mystery - 5 Card Stud, starring Dean Martin & Robert Mitchum. Afterwards, I checked the reviews at IMDb and found, to my surprise, one old review there from a decade ago that calls 5 Card Stud a remake of Dark City. It took me a few seconds but I realized that the IMDb reviewer was right - the details of the two plots do have differences and the biggest difference is that 5 Card Stud takes place in the old west of 1880, but they are also very similar in the basics of the story. Of course, it can be argued that both films take their cue from Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (a.k.a. And Then They Were None) - the plot about characters getting killed one-by-one.

In 5 Card Stud, there is also a card game at the start of the film; one of the players is caught cheating and the other players lynch him in anger (this differs a bit from Dark City). Days later, the murders begin - one-by-one, the players who formed that lynch mob are executed by some form of strangulation. It soon becomes apparent that someone is avenging the death of the hanged cheater. Who is the killer..? Is it newly arrived gun-toting preacher Mitchum? is it troublemaker Nick (Roddy McDowall, great as a mean sneak). If you've seen Dark City, you might guess who the killer is. If you haven't seen this one, check it out - I think you'll be entertained, if just for McDowall's part in it (McDowall appeared with Heston at virtually the same time in Planet of the Apes).

Sometime ago, on another thread about possible villain roles for Chuck, I mentioned 5 Card Stud as one possibility - Heston in Mitchum's role. But, Heston might have played the hero gambler here also, the Dean Martin role, though the role of an easygoing gambler was tailor-made for ol' Dino and it's hard to picture anyone else in it. Heston might have done better as the stern preacher - though he rarely played less-than-heroic roles at that time, the imperious & larger-than-life nature of the preacher role in this would have suited him. I plan to write more about actors like Mitchum in such roles in that upcoming new forum about other actors that might be created in the CH Forums soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:29 pm 
El Cid

I've never seen 5 CARD STUD but I'll give it a go if it ever appears on the telly again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:09 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Might as well share it in this thread as well: Dark City is coming to Blu-ray, the day before Christmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-City-Blu-ray ... 2&sr=1-2&k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:26 pm 
El Cid

My non Blu-ray DARK CITY is perfect quality ... its hard to see how Blu-ray can improve on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:49 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

DVD's works perfectly fine for me, unless it's one of those things were they just transfer the movie from a VHS source. But, when it comes to Heston, I want the best available nowadays. The difference is much more notable now that I have a 50 inch plasma and a good Blu-ray player. Movies such as The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur especially look just stunning on the format.