Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Counterpoint
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Prince Judah

I just started watching this one again on the new DVD version (Region 1), the on-Demand release. There are no quotes threads for the films in this section, so I may as well post this here: early in the film, Heston's first words of dialog are --> "Ladies and gentlemen, it seems we're involved in some sort of a mass Exodus." This sure seems like an obvious in-joke :lol: . I seem to remember reading about this somewhere, maybe in one of Heston's books; that line of dialog may have been debated about as to whether it fit in or was too much of a comical aside.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:50 pm 
Astronaut

Hi War Lord, nice to see you again. I have a long-cherished desire for watching this movie, for the music at least, even though it does not come among Heston's well-known pieces. But please tell me, is it in colour or black-and-white? I have seen still photos, both coloured and black-and-white.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:55 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

tizzyd wrote:
Hi War Lord, nice to see you again. I have a long-cherished desire for watching this movie, for the music at least, even though it does not come among Heston's well-known pieces. But please tell me, is it in colour or black-and-white? I have seen still photos, both coloured and black-and-white.

The movie is in color :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 am 
Prince Judah

We should mention that Heston's foil/counterpart/nemesis in this film, Maximilian Schell, has just died, at age 83 (very close to Heston's age when he died). Schell also appeared in other war films - his debut, supporting Marlon Brando in The Young Lions and with James Coburn in a favorite of mine, Peckinpah's Cross of Iron. I also remember him from such diverse roles as The Odessa File (1974), The Black Hole (79) and Deep Impact (98). Here's a good write-up: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/01/showbiz/a ... hell-dies/
Austrian-born actor Maximilian Schell, winner of an Academy Award for his portrayal of a defense lawyer in "Judgment at Nuremberg," has died, his agent, Patricia Baumbauer, said Saturday. He was 83. Schell died at an hospital in Innsbruck, Austria, with his wife, Iva, at his side, Baumbauer told CNN. "He was suffering from a long illness," Baumbauer said. "My mother was Schell's agent for over 50 years, and when she died four years ago, he remained with the agency. He was like a father to me and knew me my entire life."

Schell, one of the most successful German-speaking actors in English-language films, made his Hollywood debut in 1958 in the World War II film "The Young Lions," according to IMDb.
In his second Hollywood role, as defense attorney Hans Rolfe in Stanley Kramer's classic "Judgment at Nuremberg," he won the 1961 Academy Award for Best Actor and beat out co-star Spencer Tracy for the Oscar, according to IMDb. He also earned a Golden Globe and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for the role, which brought him international acclaim.
Schell's acting eventually won him two more Oscar nominations -- in 1976 for Best Actor for "The Man in the Glass Booth" and in 1978 for Best Supporting Actor for "Julia," according to IMDb.

Schell was born in Vienna on December 8, 1930, and raised in Zurich, Switzerland.
R.I.P.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm 
Astronaut

Rest in Peace, Maximilian Schell.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm 
Michelangelo

Chrysagon wrote:
We should mention that Heston's foil/counterpart/nemesis in this film, Maximilian Schell, has just died, at age 83 (very close to Heston's age when he died). Schell also appeared in other war films - his debut, supporting Marlon Brando in The Young Lions and with James Coburn in a favorite of mine, Peckinpah's Cross of Iron. I also remember him from such diverse roles as The Odessa File (1974), The Black Hole (79) and Deep Impact (98). Here's a good write-up: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/01/showbiz/a ... hell-dies/
Austrian-born actor Maximilian Schell, winner of an Academy Award for his portrayal of a defense lawyer in "Judgment at Nuremberg," has died, his agent, Patricia Baumbauer, said Saturday. He was 83. Schell died at an hospital in Innsbruck, Austria, with his wife, Iva, at his side, Baumbauer told CNN. "He was suffering from a long illness," Baumbauer said. "My mother was Schell's agent for over 50 years, and when she died four years ago, he remained with the agency. He was like a father to me and knew me my entire life."

Schell, one of the most successful German-speaking actors in English-language films, made his Hollywood debut in 1958 in the World War II film "The Young Lions," according to IMDb.
In his second Hollywood role, as defense attorney Hans Rolfe in Stanley Kramer's classic "Judgment at Nuremberg," he won the 1961 Academy Award for Best Actor and beat out co-star Spencer Tracy for the Oscar, according to IMDb. He also earned a Golden Globe and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for the role, which brought him international acclaim.
Schell's acting eventually won him two more Oscar nominations -- in 1976 for Best Actor for "The Man in the Glass Booth" and in 1978 for Best Supporting Actor for "Julia," according to IMDb.

Schell was born in Vienna on December 8, 1930, and raised in Zurich, Switzerland.
R.I.P.

R.I.P. Maximillian Schell
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/fe ... ian-schell

Quote:
Maximilian Schell obituary

Actor and director who brought dark good looks and a commanding presence to his roles
He was rescued by the caper movie Topkapi (1964), which proved a great hit – unlike the bizarre Return from the Ashes (1965) in which he played a murderous chess master. He took the title role in Simón Bolívar (1969), and became another Nazi in the feeble Counterpoint (1967), where he was in charge of a concentration camp housing a symphony orchestra conducted by Charlton Heston. These and other films were what helped pay the bills on his own production of Franz Kafka's The Castle (1968), in which he starred as K. Approaching 40, he was anxious to make movies rather than act in them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:41 pm 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
I was pretty shocked when I browsed Ebay and saw a release for this movie on DVD! Apparently it has been released in Spain and has an English audio track.

Yes, and the quality of the print is superb, Thorn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:49 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

There's been a new release of this movie in the UK. Are you aware of it, James? More info here: new-charlton-heston-releases-on-dvd-blu-ray-t11-230.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:42 am 
El Cid

I just ordered it a few seconds ago Thorn, thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:09 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Always glad to help :) I too prefer getting releases with the English title on the spine, when available.