Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Chuck's Screen Deaths
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:35 am 
Cheating Bastard

Has there ever been a major movie star who allowed himself to die on-screen so many times? My favorite would be BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, where he takes the world along with him.

Post subject: Re: Chuck's Screen Deaths
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:52 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Great topic! :lol: Heston joked about this in his autobiography, that he's most likely the one actor that have gotten killed more than any other.

At the moment, I don't dare name any other actor who may have died on screen as many times as Chuck did. I'll have to give this some thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:08 pm 
Marabunta

The fact that he was bigger than life actor and very popular I too am surprised at the number of movies he dies in..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:59 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

lovelyrita wrote:
The fact that he was bigger than life actor and very popular I too am surprised at the number of movies he dies in..

Indeed, other actors ego's would probably not have allowed them to get killed too often. This obviously didn't get to Chuck and I'm grateful for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 am 
Prince Judah

Here's an excerpt from the book Charlton Heston's Hollywood, pg. 180, in which Chuck relates his unimpressed reaction to the written ending after reading the script for the then-upcoming Earthquake film; he had script approval and went back to studio, saying
Quote:
"Look, guys. Why not do something different? Surprise 'em. Why don't we have him try to rescue his wife and he drowns too?"

The Universal people hated the idea. "Oh, no, Chuck, no way," they said. "Are you kiddin'? We need you to survive and rebuild Los Angeles."

"Surprise 'em. I think the audience is ready for an ending like that."
Chuck continued:
Quote:
It's amazing when you think of it. People always assume the hero has to live. That's not true. Take me, for example. I have died at least a dozen times. Perhaps, in my case, they have gotten used to it. Or maybe they look forward to it, I don't know.

"You must understand," says Lydia. "he loves death scenes."

This one did surprise me when I first watched Earthquake on TV as a kid with my family. We were all a little stunned as it ended, saying stuff like "...did we just see what we all saw...? Did he just die..?" I think I did see Gene Hackman die in The Poseidon Adventure a year earlier, so it wasn't a new concept for disaster films... but it just seemed strange that Heston abandoned hot chick Bujold for his bitchy wife, Ava Gardner. I guess Heston's thinking was the character would have felt too much guilt about not trying to save her.

Heston stated that he died at least a dozen times in his films; I haven't checked into that. I suppose someone should try compiling a list. It does all make me wonder how many of Heston's film choices were governed by the ol' death scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:37 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I was pretty shocked too, about his death. It did make sense to me though, it would have been a pretty weird ending if he just ditched his wife as she was taken away by the water and lived happily ever after with his new girlfriend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm 
Marabunta

I don't know the number of times he died onscreen, but James Cagney has quite a few memorable and classic death scenes (ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, WHITE HEAT, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, THE ROARING TWENTIES, and I would not be surprised if there are more but these are the ones I'm most familiar with). He may outnumber Heston in death scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

amyk wrote:
I don't know the number of times he died onscreen, but James Cagney has quite a few memorable and classic death scenes (ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, WHITE HEAT, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, THE ROARING TWENTIES, and I would not be surprised if there are more but these are the ones I'm most familiar with). He may outnumber Heston in death scenes.

He played a gangster quite a few times, so that wouldn't shock me. Maybe Heston would lead in most amount of deaths by the hero in a movie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
Marabunta

You may be right. All those that I listed are gangster deaths. Speaking of both Heston and Cagney, according to Wikipedia this is what Heston said about Cagney when announcing that Cagney was to be awared a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Film Institute: Charlton Heston, in announcing that Cagney was to be awarded, called him "One of the most significant figures of a generation when American film was dominant, Cagney, that most American of actors, somehow communicated eloquently to audiences all over the world …and to actors as well."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:52 am 
Cheating Bastard

Saw MIDWAY again recently and thought about this subject. Chuck went against the norm enough times that by 1976 his hero's death seemed always to be a possibility. As the shot-up plane hones in on the carrier we the audience are in for a white-knuckle moment of suspense with the impending danger of a fiery crash. In the back of our mind's though we know the hero will make a safe landing, because that's how movies are. Then we realize Chuck is the hero and figure, yeah, he's going to go up in flames. And he did.