Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Christmas traditions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'd be very interested in hearing what some of the traditions you all have around this holiday. As mentioned before, it's my favorite time of the year and I love hearing how other people around the world celebrate it. So, how does your day look like around Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day?

:gift: :santa3: :xmascandle: :shakepresent: :xmastree: :snowman2: :presents: :cosychristmas: :santa2: :santa; :snowman:

Post subject: Re: Christmas traditions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:37 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I usually watch Die Hard. I might give it a break this year, though.

I guess I don't have a lot of Christmas traditions. On of my brothers and I like to put up some lights, of course. Last year we kept blowing fuses trying to put up so many lights. There's the advent calendar, something I've done since I was a kid. I'm sure there will be a Christmas party with family and relatives, and maybe a family friend or two.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:58 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

CrowMagnumMan wrote:

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh so hard my girlfriend asked me what the hell was wrong with me. That must be the coolest damn way of spending Christmas I've ever heard of.

"Oh it's Christmas, time to watch McClane blow some badguys away. Aahhh, there's nothing that screams Christmas more than that!"

What's an advent calendar? We have a tradition here in Sweden with that as well, but I doubt it's the same. Our advent calendar is a hollow piece of paper with 24 "windows" that you open. One for each day of December leading up to Christmas Eve. Inside every window is a piece of chocolate. It's for kids, but I still get one from my mom every year :lol: :santa3:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:43 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I don't really have any traditions any more... This year I will celebrate christmas with my mother, and that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:04 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
CrowMagnumMan wrote:

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh so hard my girlfriend asked me what the hell was wrong with me. That must be the coolest damn way of spending Christmas I've ever heard of.

"Oh it's Christmas, time to watch McClane blow some badguys away. Aahhh, there's nothing that screams Christmas more than that!"

Die Hard actually has a strong X-Mas tone in its background; I wrote about it in a small newsletter I put together over a decade ago during the Christmas week at a company I used to work for. The film takes place during an office X-Mas party; remember, a warm Christmas melody plays over the end credits as McClane and his wife are driven away from all the damage and the bodies. :santa2:

I also wrote about these other film choices:

Batman Returns (1992): takes place during the X-Mas holiday, with a blanket of snow covering Gotham City as a half-penguin monster villain decides to take over the city; meanwhile, secretary-turned-psychotic Catwoman attacks muggers and fights Batman on the frosty rooftops. :punch: :gift:

Jack Frost (1996): a low budget direct-to-video thriller about an escaped killer who, with the help of genetic muck, merges with snow to become a... killer snowman! :snowman: small-town residents trying to enjoy the holiday are targeted with icepick-type weaponry :snowman2:

Jack Frost (1998): a musician & dad (Michael Keaton) gets killed in a car accident (snow, y'know) and comes back a year later on X-Mas inside the snowman built by his son in front of the home. Snowman/Dad saves his kid from a snowball fight and then teaches him the finer points of ice hockey, including the 'J shot. :snowman:

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996): a pastoral setting in a small snow-covered town on X-Mas where a schoolteacher (Geena Davis) lives with her daughter; the teacher does have memory problems; then, a bald psycho with a shotgun bursts into her home and the teacher finds out she's really good at killing psychos. :punch: :presents:

Turbulence (1996): I'm pretty sure this is during an X-Mas Eve airplane flight; a stewardess finds herself in a one-on-one battle against a crazed killer (Ray Liotta); if I were her, I'd look for a serious Christmas Bonus after landing. :santa;

I don't really advocate watching any of these films on Christmas Day itself, but X-Mas Eve or the day after might be pretty good. Happy Holidays! :cosychristmas:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Oh yes, I'm definitely aware of that. It's just funny because usually you'd watch a Christmas movie that is comedy oriented.

P.S. Jack Frost (1988) is one of the movies I always pop in the DVD player during this time of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Well, I forgot to say that I do see "Nightmare Before Christmas" the day before christmas in cinemas every year for the last 4 or something years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:40 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

The Swedish tradition is that Santa come and visit us on Christmas Eve. Usually a relative leaves the house saying he has to buy the newspaper or some cigarettes. A couple of minutes later Santa knocks on the door much to the delight of the kids and asks the standard phrase "Is there any nice kids here?" He then sits down, gets some mulled wine (the Swedish Christmas beverage, much like the Yanks eggnog) and chat a little. After a while, he starts handing out the Christmas gifts as he reads the label on them, who they are from and such. Once that is done, he leaves us as we're unwrapping the presents. I guess it's the only time he can leave without upsetting the kids, since they are so eager to open up their presents.

So yeah, we open up our presents on the 24th. You probably think we're crazy, on the other hand we probably think the same about you guys opening your presents on the 25th :santa;

Children here are often scared when they see Santa for the first time. Who could blame them? It's not often you see a big guy like that with all the beard and a deep, deep voice. One of my very first childhood memories is when I cried my eyes out the very first time I ever saw Santa. I was two at the time, I believe.

My family usually spend Christmas Eve together and then in the middle-days (mellandagarna) as well call the couple of days after Christmas Eve, we get together and eat the many leftovers from the Christmas dinner and just hang out. It's nice and quiet. My family is scattered around the whole country, more or less. So it's usually just me, my girlfriend, my brother & his girlfriend, my mom and dad and my grandmother who get together for the holidays. It's a shame, I'd very much want to meet my cousins, aunts and uncles during Christmas, too. That rarely happens these days.

:santa3: :xmascandle: :shakepresent: :xmastree: :snowman2: :presents: :cosychristmas: :santa2: :santa; :snowman: :gift:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:20 pm 
Marabunta

Here we clean and decorate the church on Christmas Eve (but during the day, not at night). Then there is a Christmas Day service at the church on the 25th followed by sweets, cake, or whatever (brought by various people of the church) and hopefully soda (if there's enough money to pay for it from the offering, which I'm pretty sure there will be).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:05 pm 
Michelangelo

In the late 1980s, I made a Christmas Message ("text picture") via a plain text editor. I sent it to all of my friends and colleagues since then. They like it. Some of them even sent it forward to their friends and colleagues. Several years ago, one of my new colleagues told me that he finally solved my 'Christmas Puzzle'! I just did not have any idea what he said :-? . Later, I found that my Christmas Message became a Christmas Puzzle :oops: . The reasons why is related to the revolution of our technology. Nowadays, the default font in the "read mail" window is mainly for Rich Text and Graphic content. The "read mail window" usually cannot read a "plain text picture" with courier font properly by default.

The follow is the current verion of my Christmas Message (which is just only 1/3 of the orginal version! It contains the puzzle and the answer!

;:*;:*;:*;:*;:Merry Christmas & Happy New Year;:*;:* ;:*;:*;:*;:
_ _ _ _
' ) ) ) * / ) / * _/_
/ / / _ __ __ __ , / /_ __ o _ / ______ __. _
/ ' (_ (/_/ (_/ (_/ (_/_ (__/ / /_/ (_<_/_)_<__/ / / <_(_/|_/_)_
/
(/ * *

and

_ , * _ __ _ ,
' ) / ' ) ) ' ) / *
/--/ __. _ _ __ , / / _ , , , / / _ __. __
/ (_(_/|_/_)_/_)_/ (_/_ / (_(/_(_(_/_ (__/_</_(_/(_/ (_
/ / / //
' ' (' * (/

;:*;:*;:*;:*;:Merry Christmas & Happy New Year;:*;:* ;:*;:*;:*;:

:xmascandle: :santa3: :xmastree: :gift: :cosychristmas: :gift: :xmastree: :santa3: :xmascandle: :santa;