Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Chiefs (Miniseries)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Jerry London
Production year: 1983
Starring: Charlton Heston, Keith Carradine, Stephen Collins

Plot:

This series tells the story of a southern town's police chiefs and the serial murderer who confounds them. Will Henry Lee is the first chief, an easy going man who works to establish the position while the murderer begins his havoc. The second is a violent racist who stumbles about his job as the murderer continues his. Tyler Watts is the final chief, an african-american cop who must deal with the virulent racism of his community while he puts together the pieces to finally bring the murderer to justice.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Chiefs (Miniseries)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:30 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm surprised no one has commented on this excellent miniseries yet. I guess it could have escaped many of you when it first aired 17 years ago, and since it's not available on DVD in the US, it's could be hard to get an opportunity to watch it.

Once again, Sweden is one of few countries with a Charlton Heston DVD that few other countries in the world has. 55 Days at Peking is one, Mother Lode another, and then there's Chiefs. I guess I'm lucky in that way. I can get my hands on some hard-to-get titles while still getting the better US releases for some of Heston's other movies.

Sadly though, the Swedish release is the cut version of the miniseries. Our version is three hours long when it was originally about an hour and forty minutes longer. There is a DVD-set in Germany that is said to have the complete miniseries with no cuts. However, I'm not sure if the German DVD has the uncut version available without the dubbing that they are keen to use. I've asked around but haven't gotten an answer on that yet, unfortunately. If there is an English-speaking version available on that set, I'll buy it in an instant as it's one of my favorite miniseries.

Thoughts on this miniseries for those of you who have seen it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Never seen it, but it does look interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:51 pm 
Michelangelo

Detective Thorn wrote:
Sadly though, the Swedish release is the cut version of the miniseries. Our version is three hours long when it was originally about an hour and forty minutes longer. There is a DVD-set in Germany that is said to have the complete miniseries with no cuts. However, I'm not sure if the German DVD has the uncut version available without the dubbing that they are keen to use. I've asked around but haven't gotten an answer on that yet, unfortunately. If there is an English-speaking version available on that set, I'll buy it in an instant as it's one of my favorite miniseries.

Actually, I am also looking for this DVD set. Thank you for your valuable hint!

I noticed that we may buy the Chiefs DVD set (1 May 2006 released) in amazon.de
The spoken languages are in English and German.
But the running time is 470 minutes! (I guess it is the total running time
for English-speaking version and German-speaking version together)

http://www.amazon.de/Chiefs-Die-Polizei ... 300&sr=1-1

Is this one you are looking for?

I am going to add it into my wish list in this Christmas!
:shakepresent: :presents: :xmastree:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:11 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yes sir, that's the one. I haven't been told clearly enough though, if the uncut version also has an English audio track. Apparently there are two versions on the DVD, where one is the cut version (if I've understood correctly), the cut version has English audio but I'm not sure the uncut version has.

If you get it for Christmas, be sure to let us know the score.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:49 am 
Prince Judah

I kept neglecting to comment on this mini-series - I did see it way back when it first aired and then one more time in the late eighties; on that 2nd time, I recorded a portion of the middle chapter on VHS.

Going by memory, Heston appears in all 3 'sections' and has to age from a sort-of young man to one closer to his real age at that time (1983). The sad part of this is that I don't remember the first or last sections very well. It's the middle part that contained this visceral punch which I still recall vividly - portions of it anyway. That's because, of course, the middle part is where I met Sunny, er, Sonny Butts (whatta name, uh?), the 2nd police chief, as played by Brad Davis (that's him below on the 1937 Harley Davidson).
Image Image
Brad Davis as Butts sneered, threatened, strutted and stomped his way through as the supposed war hero who was handed this job after the war and managed to blow it big time by the end of his 'career.' He was a racist and sadistic, yet I still couldn't help feeling a little sorry for him in the way he ended up (him and his motorcycle, I think), probably because the actor has this sympathetic air about him even as he's behaving like a terrible bully. Keith Carradine played the local... misfit, another memorable role.

I think what struck a cord with me was how it seems like Butts brought back some of the evils of the war, namely Nazi and Gestapo-like sensibilities, as he marched his way through small town Americana; it was as if he brought back a disease, as if he'd been infected by something. Davis sort of dominated the series, from my p.o.v.
As mentioned in the above posts, there's still no USA DVD of this one for some peculiar reason, though I suppose it's just a matter of time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Brad Davis was excellent on Chiefs, just as he was on another miniseries; Roots. You remember correctly about Chuck, only I think he played a man nearing his eighties by the third part of the miniseries.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
You remember correctly about Chuck, only I think he played a man nearing his eighties by the third part of the miniseries.

Oh, that's interesting... so, he was at an age close to what he was when he actually passed away in real life. I didn't realize that.

This just made me think about Chuck's roles in regard to playing biographical characters, usually famous personalities, which he is known for. This means he was more apt to play characters which age a lot during the course of a film in his career than the average actor - especially if he was portraying the life story of someone.

For example, he aged from young man to very old man in The Ten Commandments.

I think he aged about a decade in El Cid. But, only about 3 years went by in Ben-Hur, right?

Those are the first three that came to mind; maybe another thread elsewhere should be started on this topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
Those are the first three that came to mind; maybe another thread elsewhere should be started on this topic.

That would be an excellent and interesting topic, feel free to create one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Here's the artwork on the German DVD I'd like to have once I know the specifics of the English version on it:

It looks really good IMO and is a box set instead of the single DVD case mine came in. It's about a year ago now since I watched the series, so I think I'm due for a rewatch in the next couple of days. I've asked some sellers on the German Ebay whether or not the English version is uncut or not. If it is indeed uncut, I think I'll buy it and watch it soon after I've seen the cut version. That way I'll be able to tell much better what was cut from the version I have.

Billy Dee Williams is coming to a convention in Sweden in a couple of weeks. If I had the money, I would have gone there and get this box set signed by him and also ask him what it was like to work with Chuck Heston. I think it would interesting for other members here on the forum to know what he thought about Chuck as a professional and as a person.