Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Chiefs (Miniseries)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

It's the exact same cover as the German box I have. I wonder if it's the complete uncut miniseries. Really hope so, with better audio han the German one. Let us know when you've received it and given it a watch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:13 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
It's the exact same cover as the German box I have. I wonder if it's the complete uncut miniseries. Really hope so, with better audio han the German one. Let us know when you've received it and given it a watch.

I received it today - it's a RIP-OFF !!! :evil:

You would think I'd been around long enough to avoid stuff like this, but I guess I was too anxious to get a supposed new DVD version of the mini-series. There's no cover - it's all bogus; it was sent in a generic case. It's a 2-disc set, some kind of DVD-R. The sound is OK - a bit loud - but the video picture is smudgy and also an overly reddish tinge. It's about average VHS quality if that.

There are comments on the packing slip which arrived with this DVD set that explain some of this, but I didn't see any such warnings at the Amazon website where I ordered this. There are customer reviews at the site that warn of the poor quality but these were posted after I already ordered the DVD; so, these are comments from purchasers who ordered it at about the same time I did. I wanted to post this warning here quickly in case any members here plan to order this. BEWARE...! :banghead: :comegetsome:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:32 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Sorry to hear about that, Chrysagon. I bet you could contact Amazon, complain and get a refund.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 am 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
Sorry to hear about that, Chrysagon. I bet you could contact Amazon, complain and get a refund.
Yeah, that thought entered my mind, but I haven't done that, yet. I started to watch the mini-series and just finished it. I watched the first half yesterday and the rest today (this disc set divides the mini-series this way: the first part and the first half of the 2nd part are on disc #1; then, on disc #2, the 2nd half of the 2nd part and the 3rd part). It's roughly 225 minutes all together, which is what I guessed it would be without commercial breaks.

It's a testimony to the power of this mini-series that I couldn't refrain from watching the whole thing already, even on such a low-quality DVD presentation. There is some irony in that I probably just watched it in the same quality format as when I had first seen it way back in 1983, on TV before cable, when many shows were seen as blurred video (analog format, before digital). I thought it looked awful in the first few minutes (as mentioned in my post above) but got used to it as the minutes went by - again, it's like going back in time, in more ways than one.

There were a lot of details that I had forgotten. I forgot that Danny Glover has a small role in this; but, this was before he became famous in the Lethal Weapon films. But, I also forgot about Paul Sorvino, who plays a corrupt sheriff through all 3 parts, like the bad counterpart to Heston. There was another sudden surprise for me in the 3rd part: one of the newest police officers is played by none other than John Goodman in an early role; he went on to a long TV & film career.

I found out that I wrote in error that Sonny Butts (Brad Davis) was the 2nd police chief. Technically, he was the 3rd. There was an elderly police chief who served for many years as the 2nd police chief after the first one (played by Wayne Rogers) died abruptly. Evidently, nothing interesting happened during his long tenure - roughly 1930 to 1946 - and his role was small; then, he dies abruptly, paving the way for a sudden promotion for police officer Butts... see, Butts did not start out as police chief; he began as one of the police officers. I also didn't realize that there was a scene in the first part with Sonny Butts as a kid, explaining some of his later demons (his father was an alcoholic and abusive). Butts, as an adult, confesses something to his mother and it's one of the more chilling scenes in TV history.

In addition, Heston's narration reveals that there were several police chiefs between Butts' exit and the intro of the last chief (played by Billy Dee Williams). Again, I guess nothing of interest happened during those 'in-between' years (roughly 1950 to 1962). Heston's role is kind of small, even though he appears in all three parts (as opposed to the actors playing the 3 main police chiefs, who each appear in only one part of the mini-series). He pops up when something of gravity is happening, but these are brief scenes. I also forgot that he put on a heavy accent for this one, I guess some kind of southern twang (southern U.S.).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:26 am 
Prince Judah

This is a follow-up to my previous post about Grass Roots, the supposed sequel to Chiefs (brought up on the thread for Crash Landing-the Rescue of Flight 232 in the Disaster forum). In a weird coincidence, Grass Roots, a 2-part telefilm, first aired on the same day as Crash Landing-the Rescue of Flight 232, Feb. 24, 1992, a Monday night. In case Thorn or any other members were wondering, no cast members from Chiefs turned up in Grass Roots - it was an entirely different cast. The new stars were Corbin Bernsen, Raymond Burr and Mel Harris, with a show-up by Rod Taylor (you can see the rest of the cast list in the upper left corner of the 2nd page scan below). The only real connection between the two projects is the same original author and the same town, Delano. But, whereas Chiefs took place in the past, up to the early sixties, Grass Roots takes place in modern, current times (then 1992). Here are scans of the TV Guide page ads and promos for the TV movie:

ImageImage

Grass Roots also involves mysterious murder, like Chiefs. I haven't seen it, only know of what I read about in that old TV Guide issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Really want to see it. I wonder how well it performed in the ratings? Hopefully there's a DVD of it some day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:37 am 
Prince Judah

One can watch the mini-series Chiefs on youTube; this is about the same bad quality that I was complaining about a few posts above, when I obtained a poor DVD version, but watching it on a small youTube screen may make the lackluster quality less apparent (click image to access the youTube video):

_____ Image