Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Chiefs (Miniseries)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:24 am 
Michelangelo

I got the Chiefs DVD (with English and German version) just a few days ago.

I did not notice any differnce in the feature presenation between the English Spoken version and the German spoken version in the 1st episode. The overhead time in the German Version is longer than the English version. The introduction section in each episode, the studio also made a funny mistake! :o The introduction in English (German caption) was edited/put in the German feature version, vica versa.

In the begin of each episode, both in English and in German version, the following comments
were displayed. I do not understand the exact meaning. This is because my German is in an "infant level". :oops:

Quote:
CHIEFS - DIE POLIZEICHIEFS VON DELANO" wurde immer in unterschiedlichen Fassungen ausgestrahlt. Die deutsche Fassung ist ca. 75 Min. Laenger als die offizielle englische Fassung, welche ca. 208 Min. dauert. Die brasilianische Fassung hat eine Laufzeit von 229 Min.

Eine komplette Fassung wurde nur ein einziges Mal in den Achtziger im englischen Fernsehen ausgestrahlt. Diese englische Taonspur zu finder, war ein unglaublicher Gluecksfall. Da kein weiteres Material existiert, wurden alte NTSC-VHS Longplay-Kassetten verwendet.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I'm glad you've gotten the set, CHfan2010. Are you happy with the overall quaity of it?

I've gotten confirmation that the set does indeed include the English uncut version as well! The only "problem" is that the audio is not as good as the international cut, because they had to rip the audio from a tape of the original airing of the miniseries (the ONLY time it was ever shown in its entirety in the US and perhaps anywhere else.)

An online German translator said pretty much the same thing in the text you posted:

CHIEFS - The POLIZEICHIEFS OF DELANO" always in different versions one radiated. The German version is approx. 75 min. long than the official English version, which lasts approx. 208 min. The Brazilian version has a running time of 229 min. A complete version was radiated only once in the eighties on the English television. This English Taonspur too more finder, was an unbelievable stroke of luck. Since no further material exists, old NTSC video home system Longplay cartridges were used.
You know what this means, don't you? This Damned Dirty Admin have some shopping to do! :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 pm 
Michelangelo

Thank you for the translation!

The quality is OK!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Hopefully the international cut is in as good shape as the one I own at the moment, or I'll have to keep my copy in case I like watching the slimmer version in better quality.

I'll post some pics of the box set once it arrives.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:33 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

CHfan2010, have you finished watching the uncut miniseries on th DVD yet? I was just told that some of the scenes in the uncut version have German language with English subtitles. Why, I don't know. Maybe the audio was too poor at certain times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
Michelangelo

Detective Thorn wrote:
CHfan2010, have you finished watching the uncut miniseries on th DVD yet? I was just told that some of the scenes in the uncut version have German language with English subtitles. Why, I don't know. Maybe the audio was too poor at certain times.

Finally, I finished to watch the internation version(three episodes together, one disk, in English) but only one introduction section.

For the verison of each episode per disk, each episode has an introduction section. There are some sort of editing "audio segment mistake", as I pointed out in my previous post. I guess this is the uncut version.

For the verison of each episode per disk (uncut version), each episode has an introduction section that Heston's character gives a background description of the town he is building. There are some sort of editing "audio segment mistakes", as I pointed out in my previous post. :banghead:

CHfan2010 wrote:
I did not notice any differnce in the feature presenation between the English Spoken version and the German spoken version in the 1st episode. The overhead time in the German Version is longer than the English version. The introduction section in each episode, the studio also made a funny mistake! :o The introduction in English (German caption) was edited/put in the German feature version, vica versa.

I have not yet finished to watch the 2nd episode(uncut version) and 3rd episode uncut version). :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:11 pm 
No Water For Me

This was probably Heston's best work from his later years. I particularly like him when he confronts Brad Davis at the carnival. Wish he'd gotten more roles he could really go with, like other "classical" actors in their senior years. I got an excellent quality complete version of Chiefs finally, and it was all in English. No German. I had to search over on Bing to finally find it (I had the old edited VHS originally). This is also one of the first television miniseries that really felt like a movie, IMHO, with much on-location work. And look at that cast! Chuck was in good company. I have always really liked Wayne Rogers and this is one of the few times he got something of substance to work with. Plus, you can't go wrong with Keith Carradine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:00 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

BurlyHughes wrote:
This was probably Heston's best work from his later years. I particularly like him when he confronts Brad Davis at the carnival. Wish he'd gotten more roles he could really go with, like other "classical" actors in their senior years. I got an excellent quality complete version of Chiefs finally, and it was all in English. No German. I had to search over on Bing to finally find it (I had the old edited VHS originally). This is also one of the first television miniseries that really felt like a movie, IMHO, with much on-location work. And look at that cast! Chuck was in good company. I have always really liked Wayne Rogers and this is one of the few times he got something of substance to work with. Plus, you can't go wrong with Keith Carradine.

Would it be possible to get a PM with the link to where you found the copy of Chiefs? Sounds like a sure-thing to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:24 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Detective Thorn wrote:
I'll post some pics of the box set once it arrives.

A bit late, but I have now posted a little review of this box set with pictures over at the memorabilia section: chiefs-special-edition-dvd-german-4-disc-t413.html

I thought I'd give it an own thread so that people who has experienced the same problem/raised the same questions I had before my purchase can find it easier and post any questions they may have in that thread. This way this thread can concentrate on discussion of the actual series.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:26 pm 
Prince Judah

Earlier today, I received an unexpected e-mail message from Amazon.com about a Chiefs DVD set which was now available. This was unexpected because I had no recollection of being on some waiting list for this DVD set. Was this a joke..? ..a scam..? :?: :-?

Curious, I checked it out. It turned out that I had entered the Chiefs DVD set onto my list of "Amazon Alerts" back in 2006! That's right - 6 years ago! I had completely forgotten about it. This a region 1 DVD. It cost $25, which is pretty steep, but I figured that after a 6-year wait, I'd better order it... what the hell. http://www.amazon.com/Chiefs-Charlton-H ... rds=chiefs Image