Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Charlton Heston's Coldwater Canyon Estate Hits the Market
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:31 pm 
Cheating Bastard

News of Mr. Heston's long-time home being put on the market received attention from many publications, including Variety, The Wall Street Journal, New York Post, Daily Mail, and many others. I remember reading about it around the same time the Powerball jackpot began to skyrocket. I bought a ticket and said the first thing I'd do if I won was snatch up this house :lol:. No such luck.

You can read the write-up of the house by the Journal and see most of the pictures available online here: http://www.wsj.com/articles/charlton-hestons-midcentury-modern-home-goes-on-the-market-1447428436#livefyre-comment

Their article reads:
Quote:

Charlton Heston’s Midcentury Modern Home Goes on the Market

The ‘Ben-Hur’ star built the Los Angeles home in the late 1950s, and lived there until his death in 2008.

By Candace Taylor
Nov. 13, 2015 10:27 a.m. ET

The longtime home of the late Charlton Heston, which began construction while he was filming the 1959 film “Ben-Hur,” is going on the market for $12.25 million.

According to son Fraser C. Heston, the family moved in to the hilltop Los Angeles house after production wrapped. His father “always said it was the house that ‘Ben-Hur’ built,” Mr. Heston said. The Oscar-winning actor lived there until his death in 2008, and the family is putting the home on the market for the first time.

The roughly 3½-acre estate is in the Beverly Hills Post Office area, said listing agent Myra Nourmand of Nourmand & Associates, who is listing the home with colleague Howard Stevens. A long, gated private driveway leads to the house, which is located on a promontory above Coldwater Canyon. With four bedrooms plus staff quarters, the main home has mountain views from nearly every room and a two-story library off the master suite, Ms. Nourmand said. A separate building houses a screening room and another bedroom. The property also has a photo studio, a swimming pool, a tennis court and a tennis pavilion with a two-story observation deck.

Memorabilia from Mr. Heston’s films—like Star of David door knockers from “Ben-Hur”—is displayed, though it is not for sale. The house remains largely as it was when it was built, Ms. Nourmand said, so it needs “a loving restoration.”

Deciding to sell the house was “a difficult decision,” said Fraser Heston, a filmmaker who as a baby played the infant Moses in “The Ten Commandments.” His mother Lydia no longer lives in the house, he added, and the family has decided “it’s the right time” to sell.

I'll immortalize a few choice pictures here. A main area:

The incredible library:

The screening room:

Mr. Heston's serene office:

Post subject: Re: Charlton Heston's Coldwater Canyon Estate Hits the Marke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:11 pm 
Prince Judah

Wonderful. The one who will buy it is so fortunate.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:43 pm 
Cheating Bastard

Absolutely, and not just because they had $12 million to spare! The estate does need a little work since it's largely unchanged from when it was built, but I hope the new owners have the good sense to not change it too much. News that the house sold broke a day after I wrote the original post. Here from the LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-charlton-heston-house-20160126-story.html:

Quote:
Charlton Heston's longtime home in Beverly Hills sells for $12.2 million

By Neal J. Leitereg
January 26, 2016 10:15 AM

The Beverly Hills estate where Oscar-winning actor Charlton Heston made his home for nearly half a century has sold for $12,212,000.

Set behind gates on a knoll above Coldwater Canyon, the three-acre property centers on a Midcentury Modern-style house designed by renowned architect William S. Beckett and built in 1959. A separate three-story structure with an art studio, a screening room and an observation deck is also within the grounds.

Within the main house is an open-plan living room, an office with a balcony, a formal dining room done in Terrazzo tile and a marble bar. A pair of bathrooms and walk-in closets, an office, a fireplace and a two-story library highlight the master suite.

Views from nearly each room take in surrounding treetops and mountains.

In total, close to 9,700 square feet of living space has five bedrooms and six bathrooms plus staff quarters.

A swimming pool, a tennis pavilion with a two-story viewing deck, mature landscaping and a meditation area complete the grounds.

Heston, who died in 2008 at 84, moved into the residence following its completion. It had been owned by the Heston family since.

Myra Nourmand and Howard Stevens of Nourmand & Assoc., Beverly Hills, were the listing agents. Brett Lawyer of Hilton & Hyland, an affiliate of Christie’s International Real Estate, repped the buyer.

Heston is known for such memorable films as “Touch of Evil” (1958), “Planet of the Apes” (1968) and “The Ten Commandments” (1956). He won an Academy Award for best actor for his starring role in “Ben-Hur” (1959).

I hope the new owners take great care of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:01 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Not surpised it sold so fast. Too bad they didn't keep it in the family, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:04 am 
Cheating Bastard

The realtor to the stars who sold the Heston estate recently did an interview. A good portion of it is about that sale. You can read the entire interview here: http://therealdeal.com/la/2016/03/10/myra-nourmand-on-selling-the-charlton-heston-estate-and-celebrity-sellers-who-go-awol/

I'll post the pertinent parts here:

Quote:
You recently sold the Charlton Heston estate. What was that like?

It was such a pleasure. There was memorabilia in the house that was quite dynamic and memorable from (filmmaker) Cecil B. DeMille and from doing The Ten Commandants and Ben-Hur and all of the important movies that (Heston) did. That was fun. It sold very quickly.

What was the house like?

The main house wasn’t that big. It was about 5,500 square feet. However, there were multiple buildings on the property. Every room had a view. It needed everything. It was a project for the new buyer to take it to the next level.

Who was the buyer?

Somebody in the entertainment business from Europe. He heard that it was coming on the market and contacted us right away with his broker and literally said, “I am buying this house.”

I think the last answer illustrates the far reach Mr. Heston's life and film have had.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That's pretty much what I would have done as well. He should make it into a hotel, I'd stay in it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:45 pm 
Cheating Bastard

It was reported by Variety in mid-February of this year that Mr. Heston's Coldwater Canyon estate was purchased by French film director Luc Besson. https://variety.com/2016/dirt/real-estate/luc-besson-charlton-heston-house-1201705287/
Quote:
By Mark David

The longtime Beverly Hills residence of late Hollywood icon Charlton Heston was sold last month for a sliver more than $12.2 million, and this property gossip hears from both Lucy Spillerguts and Yolanda Yakketyyak that the new owner is French film director-producer Luc Besson. Set behind gates on a three-acre promontory high above Coldwater Canyon with panoramic mountain views, the striking and sharply angled contemporary main residence was commissioned in the late 1950s by the Oscar-winning and firearms-loving “Ben-Hur” actor, and designed by Modernist architect William S. Beckett.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That's somewhat surprising. I wonder if he's a big Heston fan?