Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Charlton Heston autographs obtained through the mail
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Detective Thorn wrote:
I find it very interesting that you've met Chuck, several of our other members have as well and have shared their stories in this thread: who-here-has-met-charlton-heston-t114.html

I'd love it if you'd share your stories in there, too.

Sure thing. But right now the girlfriend is calling me for dinner, and this is something that may take some time. See you later. :cowboy1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 am 
Cheating Bastard

Joe Karlosi wrote:
Hi -- As a brand new member to this site who has just joined today, I was very much afraid to bring this topic up, only because I know a lot of you fellow fans out there like me probably obtained Heston signatures through the mail (as I too have over the years), and I did not wish to upset anyone. However, it seems that this subject has already been dealt with via this thread, so I thought I would join in...

I discovered this news a year or so ago with the 'Autograph Website Link' posted above, and at first I was a little skeptical myself as well... But the more I followed the autograph discussion and saw various examples and I examined my own autographs, the more I have to believe that Mr. Heston had his mail-in signatures signed by his secretary. We all know that Chuck was VERY gracious about his fans and giving them autographs... thus, it comes as a disappointment to discover that through mail, he used his secretary.

I have been fortunate to have met Mr. Heston a total of three times over the years in New York City. Each time I obtained an autograph, and each one of these three in-person signatures demonstrates the accepted lower cased "r" in "Charlton". Unfortunately, during these very same years I also had obtained a half dozen or more signed photos from him through mailing to his home, which I mailed in a self-addressed-stamped-envelope, and ALL of these when returned to me had the dreaded "ll" or ("Chall"). (I did not realize these were not real until only recently when I came across the online discussion).

Sad as I am to concede this, it does appear that any autograph (such as the one in the above picture) that appears to be "Chall" (and not "Char") is indeed a forgery. If anyone were to take the time to read the very long discussion in the "autograph" link provided on their website, it is inescapable.

As we can see, the fakes are very good, except for the "Chall". However, there is one more telling factor in addition, which was also noted on the Autograph Website -- and that is, the line that cuts straight across horizontally in "Heston" is always too straight and perfect in the forgeries. On each of the In-Person's I received, not only are they "Char", but the straight line in "Heston" is not so perfect and razor sharp.

While it's true that people do not sign their names the same way all the time, there are some characteristics which are always true. And this is the case of the "Char", which remained consistent throughout all decades of Mr. Heston's career.

My advice would be not to obtain any seller autographs that look like two identical ll's together, as in "Chall".

Sorry to start out this way but it was the first thing that popped into my mind that I thought fans might want to be aware of. I do look forward to joining all of you in other Heston discussions.

It's hard to comprehend at first, but all the evidence adds up until you know for sure. Just to be clear, they aren't actually forgeries. No malice was involved in a secretary signing them. Without a doubt everyone thought they were doing right by the fans by responding with something rather than nothing. I was a little bummed out discovering the truth at first. But then I thought about it and realized it's a good thing. I'm glad Mr. Heston was out there "in the arena" fighting for what he believed in rather than sitting at home signing an endless number of photos bearing his image. Regardless of him not signing his mail, his devotion to his audience is unquestioned. I just think of all the theater work he did and how he enjoyed it for bringing him closer to the audience. "I've lived my whole life on the stage and screen before you. I've found purpose and meaning in your response. For an actor there's no greater loss than the loss of his audience. I can part the Red Sea, but I can't part with you..."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I appreciate the nice words about Heston. However, a forgery is a forgery, IMO. I am very saddened to find out that a ruse had been played on many, many fans for so many years and they thought "shhhh, nobody will ever find out". Taking an "oh, what they don't know won't hurt them" attitude and basically sending out fake and non-authentic signatures. It is especially distressing in cases where fans (like me) mailed photographs already signed in person by other stars (like Kim Hunter and Linda Harrison of PLANET OF THE APES, in my case) and then get the photo mailed back with a secretary's Heston autograph! So now I've got a photo of Heston and Ms. Harrison riding on a horse at the end of POTA, with one true signature on it and one artificial.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:03 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Here is a link to the blog which tells the sad truth:

http://www.zipper68.blogspot.com/search ... n%20Heston