Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Book authors' views of Charlton Heston
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:53 pm 
El Cid

I hope so Judah. The American author Marc Elliot delves deep into John Wayne's politics, so it looks like the book on Heston will be similar in that respect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:26 pm 
Cheating Bastard

James Byrne wrote:
I collect books on John Wayne as well as Heston, and after reading this latest book on Duke, http://www.amazon.com/American-Titan-Se ... B00ICMSBV8, I contacted the author Marc Elliot and congratulated him on an excellent read. Marc thanked me, and also told me that he is in the process of writing a book on Charlton Heston (assisted by Fraser Heston) and that it will be available to purchase early next year.

Isn't that good news, Chuck fans?

This is worrisome news. I'd question whether Mr. Heston's son's involvement is overstated or wholly created by the author. Mr. Elliot does not, for good reason, have a sterling reputation within the classic film community. I've read two of his so-called biographies. The one on James Stewart is a hit piece through and through, filled with unsubstantiated claims cooked up by a sick mind. The one he wrote on Cary Grant isn't much better. His books are filled with sexual debauchery and unsourced accusations. They're lies told as fact to ensnare unsuspecting readers and they perhaps do irreparable harm to the character and memory of the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

better side wrote:
James Byrne wrote:
I collect books on John Wayne as well as Heston, and after reading this latest book on Duke, http://www.amazon.com/American-Titan-Se ... B00ICMSBV8, I contacted the author Marc Elliot and congratulated him on an excellent read. Marc thanked me, and also told me that he is in the process of writing a book on Charlton Heston (assisted by Fraser Heston) and that it will be available to purchase early next year.

This is worrisome news. I'd question whether Mr. Heston's son's involvement is overstated or wholly created by the author. Mr. Elliot does not, for good reason, have a sterling reputation within the classic film community. I've read two of his so-called biographies. The one on James Stewart is a hit piece through and through, filled with unsubstantiated claims cooked up by a sick mind. The one he wrote on Cary Grant isn't much better. His books are filled with sexual debauchery and unsourced accusations. They're lies told as fact to ensnare unsuspecting readers and they perhaps do irreparable harm to the character and memory of the subject.

Oh no! Is THAT where I remember the name from? Is he the one who wrote in his book the ridiculous claim that James Stewart was racist? If so, my blood is starting to boil!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:49 am 
Cheating Bastard

Detective Thorn wrote:
better side wrote:
James Byrne wrote:

Oh no! Is THAT where I remember the name from? Is he the one who wrote in his book the ridiculous claim that James Stewart was racist? If so, my blood is starting to boil!

I believe that was more a prior book, James Stewart: A Biography, not to be confused with Jimmy Stewart: A Biography written by Marc Eliot. I would venture to say neither have served Mr. Stewart fairly nor well. Forty percent of reviews on Amazon for Jimmy Stewart: A Biography give the book only one star. The four top one star reviews (I made some of the most pertinent information bold) read:

Quote:
Intentional injustice?
By Amazon Customer on February 3, 2007
Format: Hardcover
Eliot has filled this biography of Jimmy Stewart with enough unsubstantiated information, innuendo, and factual errors to sink a small ship, never mind the grammatical errors. Furthermore, the tone of the book is snide, schizophrenic and frankly unlikable - it seems as if the author almost has a vendetta against Stewart. The near-constant Freudian analyzations range from annoying to obnoxious, as does Eliot's penchant for finding deep sexual overtones and conflict in all of Jimmy's movies and many of his day-to-day activities.

A previous poster suggested the author didn't watch a few (if any) of Jimmy's movies in preparation for this 'biography', and I have to agree. Additionally, while much time is spent talking out Henry Fonda, the information doesn't go very far beneath the surface of the man or his friendship with Jimmy; this lack of real depth is epidemic throughout this book, unless one considers unsupported gossip, suppositions, and questionable psychological analysis 'depth'. The best part of the book really is that which discusses his war experience.

Overall, this book is unbelivable on several levels, the topmost being that Mr. Eliot, separating himself from most Americans, doesn't actually like Jimmy Stewart as a person and does his best to smear Stewart's personality and character - as well as that of anyone else who happens to get in his way. How this book, rife with error, got past an editor is also beyond my understanding. Someone interested in Jimmy is far better off watching his finest movies than reading this book.

well written...but
By KR on November 26, 2006
This book is an interesting read. The Author Marc Elliot is good at prose...and unlike some readers, I do not mind the occasional un-dotted I...etc. My problem with this book is different.

The author is clearly trying to break down the 'good guy' image of Stewart. He comes up with all sorts of (in my opinion) phony sexual stories about Stewart including that he visited a MGM sponsored brothel in order to prove his 'heterosexuality.' Come on...this is garbage. Also, he doesent miss a chance at the old Marlene Deitrich abortion story which I believe to be 'hooey' to use a Jimmy word. The author states that JS is a feminine hero and that many of his films have sexual undertones. I just don't believe this...and the fact that the author has written for Penthouse really sets the stage for what you are in for. This is a very biased book. And I wouldnt recomend it.

Also, before you spend money on this book...research the author. I didn't do this until I had purchased the book and I learned that his previous material doesent seem to fit. He is most known for a book entitled "Walt Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince" The Jimmy Stewart book (in my opinion-again) does an extreme disservice to JS. The author misses some of his movies entirely and also misses "The Six Shooter" radio series that Jimmy did for NBC in the 50's.

The book is interesting to read (Marc is a great story teller)...but the dirt doesent stick (never has) and I would'nt believe a word of it if I were you. Finally, I don't like the 'Jimmy was thinking/feeling' additions...there is simply no way to know what the man was thinking. Take my advice and let Jimmy's films speak for themselves.

Not so accurate book
By CJS on October 12, 2007
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
This book has so many errors it isn't even funny. One example is the author said that the film So Red the Rose was a take-off on Gone With the Wind. So Red the Rose came out in 1935. Gone With the Wind was not published until 1936 and the film came out in 1939. This author's book on Cary Grant book was just as full of errors. Doesn't the author or his editor ever check anything?

An Awful Biography
By Peter L. Winkleron January 9, 2007
Scott Eyman, biographer of John Ford and Louis B. Mayer, has a few things to say about Eliot's "dismal" biography in his review in the New York Observer. "Marc Eliot has produced a bewilderingly bad book, beginning with the false intimacy of its title. His comically clause-happy writing teeters on the edge of incoherence. His judgments are often ridiculous." Eyman concludes his review: "There is no--repeat, no--excuse for a book this badly written, this reportorially suspect." In the Washington Post, Dennis Drabelle wrote, "But Jimmy Stewart is marred by mistakes, clichés, careless writing and gush."

It takes a lot of work to sully the name of a man who fought just to be able to serve his country and fight in WW2. An actor in some of the greatest films of all-time. A man married nearly forty-five years who was so heartbroken over his wife's death that he effectively died along with her.

I hope that if this proposed biography on Charlton Heston does come out that it steers far away from this Penthouse, tabloid-like writing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:06 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, it's obvious he had an agenda when he wrote that book about one of the greatest Americans that ever lived.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7