Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Ted Post
Production year: 1970
Starring: James Franciscus, Kim Hunter, Charlton Heston

Plot:

Astronaut Brent is sent to rescue Taylor but crash lands on the Planet of the Apes, just like Taylor did in the original film. Taylor has disappeared into the Forbidden Zone so Brent and Nova try to follow and find him. He discovers a cult of humans that fear the Apes' latest military movements and finds himself in the middle. Tension mounts to a climactic battle between ape and man deep in the bowels of the planet.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Beneath the Planet of the Apes. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Does anyone else feel that this movie is a bit underrated? Some even call it the worst of all the POTA sequels, now that's just ridiculous! I think it's pretty damn good, actually. In some ways it's something of a remake, sure, but other than that I see nothing bad about it. I really like the storyline of the people living under ground.

The last couple of scenes where we finally see Taylor again is obviously the best part of the movie IMO, it's where the action really starts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 am 
Prince Judah

Beneath the POTA probably is a bit underrated, but it also had too many detriments after the huge impact of the 1st one - Roddy McDowall was missing as one example, and I just couldn't warm up to Franciscus as the main lead. There was something 'off' with his performance, like he was trying very hard to be intense in many scenes and just gave the impression to me he was feverish or had a pain in his backside.
Image <this guy is such a Franciscus
It did have a lot of sf elements, good for a sf fan like me, but again... they all seemed to be thrown in, mixed around and not presented in a very elegant manner - like some pulp sf fiction novel rushed out. It's also kind of bad that the film picks up when Heston is in it, but he's at the beginning and end only.

I'm also always a bit taken aback by the brutal fight scene towards the end, with Heston & Franciscus. Up until that point, Franciscus seemed like an average sized man to me; then he gets thrown into that cell with Heston and Heston just towers over him like some giant. I know Heston was tall - about 6' 3" - but the way this was filmed, Franciscus looked like he was only 5 feet tall for some reason and I was starting to feel real sorry for him by the midpoint of the fight, as Heston looked like he was picking on this little guy and beating the crap out of him. :saywhat: :banghead:

Last edited by Chrysagon on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:35 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

It's funny, I root for Franciscus during the whole damn movie during his journey, but put him in a cell with Heston and let them have a go at it and I cheer for Heston to beat him into a pulp! :lol:

It did seem like Franciscus just tried to play the role of George Taylor at times, which kind of annoyed me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:56 am 
No Water For Me

This film has one of the saddest moment, when Nova is getting killed. But I really like this movie, it´s underrated. Second best of the series, first one is the best of course :)

The final scenes with Heston are great, even though the ending is little bit depressing. But there is no way Taylor&Brent could have survived against the whole ape army.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Colonel Taylor wrote:
This film has one of the saddest moment, when Nova is getting killed. But I really like this movie, it´s underrated. Second best of the series, first one is the best of course :)

Agreed, that is a pretty sad scene. By that time, Taylor didn't give much of a damn what happened to him or the rest of the planet, it seemed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:45 pm 
No Water For Me

[/quote]
Agreed, that is a pretty sad scene. By that time, Taylor didn't give much of a damn what happened to him or the rest of the planet, it seemed.[/quote]

That´s a fact, he didn´t give a damn anymore, they took everything he had. "Come on Taylor the bomb...the bomb...!" "Yeah... why not...." He wasn´t that interested anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:28 am 
Call Me Harry

It's been years since I saw "Beneath" (actually saw it before the first one unfortunately), but I do remember the death of Nova and yeah, that pretty much destroyed whatever will to live Taylor had. He knew at the end of the first film he was screwed, even before he saw the Statue of Liberty, by then taking care of Nova was the only thing that kept him going and without her... well, goodbye cruel world.

I remember reading that an earlier draft of the film had Taylor, Brent & Nova surviving, freeing the other humans and then Taylor went on to become this messiah type figure uniting humans and apes, then showing us a future where apes and humans live in harmony. Imagine how different things would have been for the franchise if they'd gone with that ending?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
It's been years since I saw "Beneath" (actually saw it before the first one unfortunately), but I do remember the death of Nova and yeah, that pretty much destroyed whatever will to live Taylor had. He knew at the end of the first film he was screwed, even before he saw the Statue of Liberty, by then taking care of Nova was the only thing that kept him going and without her... well, goodbye cruel world.

I remember reading that an earlier draft of the film had Taylor, Brent & Nova surviving, freeing the other humans and then Taylor went on to become this messiah type figure uniting humans and apes, then showing us a future where apes and humans live in harmony. Imagine how different things would have been for the franchise if they'd gone with that ending?

I think that could have killed any possible sequel to the franchise. Or maybe it was written with the intent of having Chuck back a couple of more times?