Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:32 am 
Cheating Bastard

tizzyd wrote:
I am with you dear Dirty Admin, sharing your envy. But isn't it our greater credit that we are such fans even without seeing Heston on the big screen? ;) So, congrats to ourselves! :lol:

You have a great point. Therein lies the proof of Chuck's talent. His larger-than-life portrayals are equally powerful no matter what size screen you see them on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 pm 
Prince Judah

"Talents differ( here in case of fandom, depending on big-screen or small-screen privilege), all is well and wisely put"!

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 am 
Prince Judah

Here's director John Landis commenting on Beneath the Planet of the Apes while the trailer* plays. In his younger days, Landis happened to be on the set of the film while it was being made. He's kind of a goon and calls the film "trash" (but good trash :ddape: ), but he does have some amusing anecdotes about Heston and how Heston dictated the role he played...

*speaking of the trailer, Thorn - the one in the OP is no longer available... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah, he seems a sort of 'goon' indeed, though amusing. Repeating 'money' 'money' 'money' ... was money the actual matter? That cannot be the whole truth. Chuck did not want to make a sequel, in order to keep intact the trendsetting impact of the POTA(it is a fact that sequels are usually falling short of the first and original impact), and he gave a condition that if he has to play the same role again, heis character must be killed off-- so that there can be no more sequel. And Chuck's perception was quite right, for Beneath the POTA could not retain the quality and huge success of POTA, if there would come more sequels, they would have been disastrous.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Detective Thorn wrote:
Does anyone else feel that this movie is a bit underrated? Some even call it the worst of all the POTA sequels, now that's just ridiculous!

I have been a diehard "All Things PLANET OF THE APES" fan since I saw PLANET and BENEATH at age 11 when they first hit U.S. TV in 1973. For many years BENEATH was my personal favorite, because it was such a cool premise for a kid to get into. (These days as a 51-year-old I am more aware of its flaws but I still think it's a good sci fi adventure film). I even had a very short-lived fan magazine out about the Apes, but in that time I managed to become friendly with BENEATH's director, Ted Post, and interviewed him at length for one of the 'zines.

Anyway -- my point is, in the mid to late 1970s it was very often considered that BENEATH was the worst of the films, or near the worst (with the last film, BATTLE FOR THE POTA more often labeled the "worst"). But I am happy to say that today it appears to me that more fans and movie critics in general tend to be kinder to BENEATH. At least in my travels, what usually ticks me off is when a lot of so called "Ape Fans" fans say "PLANET and BENEATH were the only real Apes films -- and the rest all sucked!" So I do think BENEATH gets more respect these days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:33 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Chrysagon wrote:
I'm also always a bit taken aback by the brutal fight scene towards the end, with Heston & Franciscus. Up until that point, Franciscus seemed like an average sized man to me; then he gets thrown into that cell with Heston and Heston just towers over him like some giant. I know Heston was tall - about 6' 3" - but the way this was filmed, Franciscus looked like he was only 5 feet tall for some reason and I was starting to feel real sorry for him by the midpoint of the fight, as Heston looked like he was picking on this little guy and beating the crap out of him. :saywhat: :banghead:

Ah, that brutal fight scene in the cell is one of my all-time favorites! I used to act that out as a kid with friends (it was just pretending; nobody got hurt!). I would play the audio cassette of the TV sound of the film and we'd match the grunts and noises!

I recall reading Heston's journals ("The Actor's Life") and he noted that he was disappointed when he found out that "one of the scenes we did in the cell will not play". I have always wanted to know what other business might have been filmed. When I talked to Ted Post, he had no memory of anything else filmed (and his mind and memory was very sharp).

During the scene, poor Franciscus does get evened out a bit when the mutant tosses in a spiked club to give him the advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

[quote="Detective Thorn"]
I think that could have killed any possible sequel to the franchise. Or maybe it was written with the intent of having Chuck back a couple of more times?

As you probably know, at the time BENEATH was made, actors just didn't believe much in doing sequels. Heston wanted no part of it but only did it as a favor to **** Zanuck.
At the time he just felt that he did the actual story once, no need to just extend it into more "adventures among the monkeys". It's funny how in his late years, Chuck thought again and said "Of course this was before Arnold and Stallone; I might have made a different choice now!"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
It's been years since I saw "Beneath" (actually saw it before the first one unfortunately), but I do remember the death of Nova and yeah, that pretty much destroyed whatever will to live Taylor had. He knew at the end of the first film he was screwed, even before he saw the Statue of Liberty, by then taking care of Nova was the only thing that kept him going and without her... well, goodbye cruel world.

I remember reading that an earlier draft of the film had Taylor, Brent & Nova surviving, freeing the other humans and then Taylor went on to become this messiah type figure uniting humans and apes, then showing us a future where apes and humans live in harmony. Imagine how different things would have been for the franchise if they'd gone with that ending?

I think that could have killed any possible sequel to the franchise. Or maybe it was written with the intent of having Chuck back a couple of more times?

I guess only the powers that were then knew. The franchise seemed to get by just fine without Chuck. Would have liked to have heard what he thought of the sequels that came afterward. I don't think I've ever read anything with him being asked what he thought of Escape, Conquest and Battle (which I still have not seen - need to get on Netflix about that).

I have an audio interview with Heston for a college science fiction radio show that was done in 1990. The fan/hosts there asked him if he'd seen any of the other films and he said "No, but I'm told that one of them was actually a very good picture".

The host suggested "Maybe CONQUEST -- the fourth --", to which Chuck replied, "I think that was it -- 'Conquest of the Planet of the Apes'... "

I love CONQUEST myself, but I'm wondering if Heston hadn't heard that it was the third picture, ESCAPE, which is considered 'very good'...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

itsjudah24 wrote:
Yeah, he seems a sort of 'goon' indeed, though amusing. Repeating 'money' 'money' 'money' ... was money the actual matter? That cannot be the whole truth. Chuck did not want to make a sequel, in order to keep intact the trendsetting impact of the POTA(it is a fact that sequels are usually falling short of the first and original impact), and he gave a condition that if he has to play the same role again, heis character must be killed off-- so that there can be no more sequel.

Absolutely -- and what's more, Heston donated the money to a school. I don't know what John Landis is talking about -- he's a bit of a goofball anyway (whose carelessness allowed Vic Morrow and two children to die in a helicopter mishap during the filming of his part of TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE).

But Heston did not "just want a lot of money", or anything snobby like that. In fact, I have him recorded talking about BENEATH several times, and one time he even said his attitude was: "Look, I'll do your sequel for free, if you have me at the beginning and then kill me off", and other times saying: "You can pay me whatever you want, and I'll donate it to a school or something".

Chuck's role kept getting bigger than he'd expected, but in the end it wasn't like he was holding out for some big paycheck. That idea is completely incorrect.

By the way -- John Landis has a very brief part as a human in BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES. With long hair and a shaggy beard you can't even tell it's him, but he's there -- and he has pointed himself out in some show I've watched. He is billed as "Jake's Friend".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

The third, IMO, is superior to the last two movies of the franchise. I remember reading somewhere that Chuck hosted an Apes marathon with Kim Hunter on some channel in the 90's and he mentioned that he'd never seen parts 3-5, but would join the audience in watching them, for the very first time in his case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next