Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beneath the Planet of the Apes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:34 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
It's been years since I saw "Beneath" (actually saw it before the first one unfortunately), but I do remember the death of Nova and yeah, that pretty much destroyed whatever will to live Taylor had. He knew at the end of the first film he was screwed, even before he saw the Statue of Liberty, by then taking care of Nova was the only thing that kept him going and without her... well, goodbye cruel world.

I remember reading that an earlier draft of the film had Taylor, Brent & Nova surviving, freeing the other humans and then Taylor went on to become this messiah type figure uniting humans and apes, then showing us a future where apes and humans live in harmony. Imagine how different things would have been for the franchise if they'd gone with that ending?

I think that could have killed any possible sequel to the franchise. Or maybe it was written with the intent of having Chuck back a couple of more times?

I guess only the powers that were then knew. The franchise seemed to get by just fine without Chuck. Would have liked to have heard what he thought of the sequels that came afterward. I don't think I've ever read anything with him being asked what he thought of Escape, Conquest and Battle (which I still have not seen - need to get on Netflix about that).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
I guess only the powers that were then knew. The franchise seemed to get by just fine without Chuck. Would have liked to have heard what he thought of the sequels that came afterward. I don't think I've ever read anything with him being asked what he thought of Escape, Conquest and Battle (which I still have not seen - need to get on Netflix about that).

Yes, but I'm not sure where they'd go if part two had ended like that and Chuck didn't want to do anymore POTA movies.

I seem to remember that Chuck, before hosting a Planet of the Apes marathon on some TV-channel, said that he hadn't seen the other POTA movies, but that he'd join the rest of the viewers and watch them all on that night.

I have no idea what he thought of them, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspapwer ad from The Milwaukee Journal - 1970.

Attachments:
beneath.png
beneath.png [ 371.5 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm 
Prince Judah

Yeah, perhaps they had wanted to bring back Taylor, but then they seemed to feel that if a man comes back again and again even after so much disastrous things ( a grotesgue parody of the Resurrection) , he will remain no longer a man. He has to be a superman or rather a demon-man, frightening to the common run of humanity. Have you noticed that this kind of feeling is consciously underplayed in the scene, where Taylor, after he comes out of the 'spell" and realises that he has wounded Brent so brutally, and goes to nurse his wound with his own hand? Recall Brent's expression: he can't at first believe that Taylor is really sorry and comes to bandage his wound with a genuine friendly attitude. He seems to be scared of the towering figure who has almost killed him a few minutes before, however unintentionally. it shows how Taylor's character has already passed beyond the touch of ordinary human understanding.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 am 
Prince Judah

I've always been struck by how towering Heston appeared in his scenes with Franciscus in this film. It seemed like he was several inches taller than how he appeared in the first Planet of the Apes. Image

It's odd too - when I was a teen, I wrote by own juvenile version (I was young and an inexperienced writer) sequel to this film (Beneath..) and also illustrated it in comic book form. In my premise, Heston's character Taylor was returning alive yet again even after the destruction of the Earth and it was eventually revealed that he would continue to appear on a new Earth after each apocalypse, like some cosmic Flying Dutchman or Lazarus. I guess when I was younger, I had some wild ideas... :shock:

btw, I recall that a proposed sequel to Planet of the Apes may have been written by author Pierre Boulle, called The Planet of Men; that's the one where-in Taylor eventually led mankind to overcome the apes and became a kind of messiah (similar to his Moses, of all things :shock: ). I think the scope of this story stretched decades or even centuries further into the future. As we all now know, this premise was rejected in favor of what became Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:08 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
I've always been struck by how towering Heston appeared in his scenes with Franciscus in this film. It seemed like he was several inches taller than how he appeared in the first Planet of the Apes. Image

It's odd too - when I was a teen, I wrote by own juvenile version (I was young and an inexperienced writer) sequel to this film (Beneath..) and also illustrated it in comic book form. In my premise, Heston's character Taylor was returning alive yet again even after the destruction of the Earth and it was eventually revealed that he would continue to appear on a new Earth after each apocalypse, like some cosmic Flying Dutchman or Lazarus. I guess when I was younger, I had some wild ideas... :shock:

Didn't we all :lol:

Chrysagon wrote:
btw, I recall that a proposed sequel to Planet of the Apes may have been written by author Pierre Boulle, called The Planet of Men; that's the one where-in Taylor eventually led mankind to overcome the apes and became a kind of messiah (similar to his Moses, of all things :shock: ). I think the scope of this story stretched decades or even centuries further into the future. As we all now know, this premise was rejected in favor of what became Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

That would have been interesting. Another Planet of the Apes only a lot more Heston in it. An epic sci-fi. I don't think there was a better man fit for a movie like that :neville:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 am 
Cheating Bastard

I was lucky enough to see this on the big screen when it played at our local theater in 1982. They used to show older movies for Sunday matinees, and you wouldn't know what was playing until the you got the Friday newspaper. I used to check every week and I remember my glee at seeing the "Beneath" advertisement. This was back at the dawn of video tapes, so the TV or theater were the main ways of seeing films. It had been several years since I had seen it. Ah, what great memories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:38 am 
Cheating Bastard

Great memories indeed! Mom and Dad took me to see several of Chuck's movies at the drive-in. Those were the days :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

You guys are making me green with envy :soylent:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am 
Astronaut

I am with you dear Dirty Admin, sharing your envy. But isn't it our greater credit that we are such fans even without seeing Heston on the big screen? ;) So, congrats to ourselves! :lol:

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next