Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben-Hur (1959)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:07 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
My sister went to a re-release of BEN-HUR in Birmingham, U.K., and she was the only one in the cinema!

That is so sad!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm 
El Cid

They played it though, Thorn, even though she was the only one who turned up.

I have seen BEN-HUR on the big screen at cinemas in Lincoln, London and Dublin. Every time I saw it the cinema was packed, but this was before videos, dvds and the films multiple television showings.

BEN-HUR was the first Heston movie I ever saw as a 9 year old in 1961 with my parents and sisters. It had a great effect on us kids, we all became ardent Heston fans after seeing the film in all its glory on the big screen. My eldest sister Rose rings me up nearly every week with the words "Guess what I'm watching James?" and I always answer "Not BEN-HUR again???????"
It seems to be on every week over here in the U.K. on one of the hundreds of channels available. Sometimes two or three times a day!

Years ago I went to London for the day and after a wonderful time in all those terrific second hand book shops on Charing Cross Road (now all sadly demolished) I accidently bumped into a cinema that was showing BEN-HUR. I bought a ticket and the place was packed to the rafters. When the movie ended everyone stood up and gave the film a ten minute standing ovation. It was one of the most memorable visits to the cinema I ever experienced.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:58 am 
Call Me Harry

I would love to seen BEN-HUR up on the big screen. The film is loaded with some of the most epic cinematography in the history of cinema, and the score would sound awesome on those theater speakers...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Certainly a dream of mine as well. If there's one movie I hope to watch in cinemas before I pass, it's Ben-Hur.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:42 pm 
El Cid

BEN-HUR seen on the big screen is awe-inspiring!

The chariot race is absolutely breath-taking, easily the greatest piece of action ever filmed for a movie, in my humble opinion.

Seen on a tv screen, the film sadly loses much of its impact.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:28 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
The chariot race is absolutely breath-taking, easily the greatest piece of action ever filmed for a movie, in my humble opinion.

I've also said so myself ever since I first watched the movie. One day I'll get the chance and jump on it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 am 
Marabunta

Just finished my annual watching of BEN-HUR. I set up my movie screen and used my beamer/projector, so it was almost as nice as seeing it on the big screen in a movie theater. One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned before on this thread (although maybe it has been) is about what Judah discussed with Esther about getting the filth of Rome out of Judea. When Judah was talking about Judea needing to be washed clean, Esther said "in blood?" (I think that is how she said it.) Anyway, the reality ended up that yes, Judea did need to be cleansed "in blood," but it was not the blood of the Romans to be shed, but the blood of Christ. I think that the healing of Tirzah and Miriam's leprosy is a sign of how Christ's blood cleansed the Jews, since leprosy was known to make someone "unclean." And I believe that is symbolism for Christ's blood making someone spiritually clean, through forgiveness of sins that Christ bore on the cross. I realize not everyone who watches it may believe what I believe, but anyway, I just love this movie and love how it makes me think about spiritual truths, even though it is a fictional movie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:12 am 
Call Me Harry

Is there really another remake of this on the way?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Is there really another remake of this on the way?

Trailer can be seen in the last post of this thread: mgm-is-rebooting-ben-hur-t435.html

Watch it, if you dare.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:34 pm 
Marabunta

Actually, I found out that Roma Downey and her husband are somehow involved in this, and that makes me think that perhaps the film won't be so bad and won't cut out the message of Christ, but maybe I'm wrong. I may give the film a chance, although I really don't think there was a need for a remake. The trailer I saw (on IMDb) seemed to focus primarily on the chariot race and revenge, and I was concerned because it looked like there is also a scene of some man and woman (but I wasn't sure who, i.e. if this is Judah or someone else) in bed together, and I thought "oh no, is there some gratuitous *** scene?" but maybe it is not going to be anything graphic. Still, I wonder why that part is thrown into the trailer. It also seems that they have made Marcellus to be Judah's adopted brother and focus a lot on that. I wonder why. I don't remember the book doing that. I just thought they were best friends growing up, but I cannot remember the book so well now as it has been a long time since I read it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next