Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Antony and Cleopatra (1972)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 am 
Michelangelo

A clip of Antony and Cleopatra (1972)

Opening

The music score is beautiful! :applause: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Post subject: Re: Antony and Cleopatra (1972)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:16 pm 
Prince Judah

This is one of the few Heston films which I have never seen, so those first few minutes above are my very first glimpse of the film. It never played on TV and there was no DVD release (I guess there was a VHS tape at some point, probably long out-of-print).

But, looks like it finally makes its way to DVD by way of the WB Archives in late March... :applause:

It's unusual also as that rare directing job by Heston.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:43 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

That music was beautiful. I believe a CD with the score has been released at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:27 pm 
Michelangelo

Chrysagon wrote:
It's unusual also as that rare directing job by Heston.

Heston could not find a director who was available to direct Antony and Cleopatra.
Heston mentioned about this problem in his Journal:
Quote:
There aren't a lot of Shakespearean directors who know film, nor many film directors who know Shakespeare. Indeed, the list essentially consists of two names: Welles and Olivier. Given their unavailability, I still think I was wise to do it myself. As it happens, almost all the films made from Shakespeare's plays have been directed by the actors playing in them.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:52 pm 
Michelangelo

Detective Thorn wrote:
That music was beautiful. I believe a CD with the score has been released at some point.

Yes, ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA-Original Film Score CD was released on 1 January 2001.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:31 am 
No Water For Me

He also asked Orson Welles for advice on who to have direct it, and Welles suggested that Chuck had done enough Shakespearean work and worked with enough directors of differing styles, Welles wondered why he hadn't considered directing it himself. BTW, it is finally being released in this country on DVD in March. I know that Movies Unlimited is accepting early orders. When I saw the reference to the WB Archives above, I was not sure if that meant the March release or not. I was lucky enough to see it by buying a Greek copy with the full English audio track that was viewable on my laptop. It's a lovely adaptation, and it shows his appreciation for Shakespeare. Probably the only weaknesses are Hildegard Neil as Cleopatra and the young man cast as Octavius Caesar. Neil is beautiful, but she is by no means powerful enough in the role to make us believe she would have so enraptured & captivated a man like Antony. Richard Chamberlain, who played Octavius in Julius Caesar, which Heston did shortly before starting on his adaptation of Antony & Cleopatra, would have been good casting for Heston's movie -- in Julius Caesar, his Octavius was capable of being callow, arrogant, and deadly, precisely the notes that needed to be struck in Antony & Cleopatra as well. This Octavius comes off mainly as something of a conceited milquetoast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:13 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's a rare still of Heston with his wife and the actress Neil at the premiere of the film in 1972:
____________ Image

(you can click on the image above to go to the CinemaRetro site from which this is from)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Wow, thanks for that rare pic! I'd never seen that one before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:16 am 
Michelangelo

It's really a very nice picture! :applause: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

I got my copy of "Antony and Cleopatra" yesterday and watched it tonight. This was the first time for me to see this movie and I was very pleased with it. I love Shakespeare and enjoyed Heston's adaptation of this play. The music by John Scott is lovely. Very epic, but understated and not over powering. I'll have to try and find the CD soundtrack. The DVD does not have a lot of special features, but it does have "The Making of Antony and Cleopatra with Filmmaker Fraser C. Heston". Fraser gives you wonderful insight to his father's passion for this story and movie. (The older Fraser gets, the more he looks like his father. Which is nice.)

I thought Heston's use of a cast with a strong Shakespearean back ground was excellent. There are many good film actors and actresses, but most of them would never to justice to the essence of Shakespeare's words. And although I have never heard of some of the actors in this movie, I was impressed with their performances. (I have heard of and seen films of Eric Porter, John Castle, Freddie Jones, Julian Glover and Fernando Rey.) I know that many people do not care for Shakespeare, but there is great beauty in the words he wrote. Once you begin to understand the language, it will open the door for a life long love affair with The Bard.

Remember that Shakespeare's plays were written to be performed on a stage. Transforming them to film is like juggling eggs. Either you do it well, or you drop and break them all. I applaud Charlton Heston not only for directing, producing and acting in this film, but for doing this film for himself, for his dream. He didn't do this film for the money, he did this film for love of Shakespeare.

This movie is worthy of a place in your collections of Heston films. It may not have been his best film, nor his most profitable film, but ....I think it was the one he was most proud of. I hope all of you will have the chance to see it, at least once.

Ladyhawke