Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Antony and Cleopatra (1972)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That's sad news.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:17 am 
Prince Judah

CHfan2010 wrote:
Spanish actor Galiardo dies at 72

Spanish actor Juan Luis Galiardo, known for film roles as Don Quixote and in Charlton Heston's "Anthony and Cleopatra" (as Alexas), has died aged 72, his publicists said Saturday

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/spanish ... 35464.html

RIP Galiardo

I am sad to hear this. I have recently finished watching Antony and Cleopatra
, and I think Gilardio did a good job as Alexas. May God Rest His Soul.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:17 am 
Prince Judah

Well, now my thoughts after watching the movie. I have to say that the cast is not uniformally strong-- Chuck himself gives a dynamic and powerful performance as the middle-aged Antony, but Cleopatra(Hildegrade Neil) is much weaker, in fact, she does not give an impression of the Shakespearean "serpent of the Nile" in her charms. Especially when we have one like Elizabeth Taylor already excelling so iconically in that role, Chuck's version should have given more attention to cast any actresss in that role.Since Chuck himself was the director, he could have found a better choice... or, may be, he could not get any other, considering that it was a pretty low-budget project and so he had to make compromises... well, these are technical matters, and I should not comment too much on that. And it is only my opinion.

The young actor John Castle impressed me a lot as Octavias. Too serious, too rigid, not-given-to pleasures of life, young in age but shrewd and mature in intelligence-- a perfect foil to the great but flawed, sensuous hero Antony. Chuck's visual representation of the contrast in the gladiotatorial scene(a nice innovation to be inserted in the Shakespearean original), in the drinking scene, and in the naval battle scene is remarkable. Other supporting actors are good enough, but Enobarbus(Eric Porter) could be better. The servant who accompanied Antony antony kills himself, unable to strike his noble master even at his willing command, is very well-portrayed. That actor is uncredited I think, but he is really good.

As for Chuck's own performance I must recall what he said once -- that Shakespeare ius the measuring stick for any actor's capabilities. Here, under his own directon, he excels grandly against that measuring stick. The way he delivers the speech "Let Rome in Tyber melt", tearing his ornament and letting the pearls drop on the lying Cleopatra , is wonderful. Antony, desperate to cling to his weakening authority, grows more cruel than ever in his authoritative commands as a ruler and the archetypal male lover-- that side of the character come out superb in the scene where he punishes Octavias' servant for kissing Cleopatra's hand. He grows mad in wrath when he loses for his own folly, depending too much on the lady he loves, he almost hates her in those mad furious feats, but he melts and takes her to his breast once she weeps and repents. The quick change of emotions in his face, the modulation of his baritone in the delivery of the Shakespearean lines, his obvious epic strature and his intelligent understanding of the cinematic possibilities of thr great bard's tale are the most brilliant features of this adaptation. My only complain is that he has left out some lines which I think important, and would love to hear from him. But perhaps the tight and time-bound script requires this kind of compression.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 pm 
Astronaut

So, in comparison with Elizabeth Taylor's 'Cleopatra', how do you rank Heston's version, on the whole?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:00 am 
Prince Judah

I am so sorry, I did not notice your question earlier.

In my opinion, there are two different perspectives to watch movies like this. On the one hand, you may want to enjoy the charm and glamour of an actress like Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra-- you don't want anything else. In that case she is great, and you don't need to bother about appreciating the the movie on the whole. I think Burton was not the Antony I would call great, but Taylor and only Taylor rules that version. It is an enchanting myth or legend of the Egyptian queenrepresented in magnificent ways without much to do with the play ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA

Chuck's version is a grand tribute to the Shakespearean play. The Antony I can imagine fom reading the lines of Shakespeare, is embodied in Chuck. He took some cinematic liberty-- like in the scene where Antony comes back to give his last kiss to his beloved. That is a bit different in the play-- he is carried by his remaining followers. But here he come staggering alone, and the strength of the character, his passion, stamina and will power could not be shown more cinematically. Chuck's version is a devoted piece of film-adaptation of Shakespeare, and it is unfortunately underrated.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Perhaps Chuck would slap me silly for saying this, but I'm not a big fan of plays and therefore don't have a great love for Shakespeare. For this reason, above all, I did not like this movie very much. I think the acting was fine (Chuck in particular was very good) and the direction by the same was not what dragged the movie down for me. It was the feel of it being a play I was watching. It was a bit too theatrical for me.

I respect the hell out of him for doing this movie, because he did it for himself and the dream he had of doing it for many years. It was a very personal movie for him, one I believe he was pleased with. I just wish I could have liked it more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 am 
Prince Judah

Man, if you ever feel interested in Shakespeare, I am sure you will like this movie better. Let's hope that in the future.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:02 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
Perhaps Chuck would slap me silly for saying this, but I'm not a big fan of plays and therefore don't have a great love for Shakespeare. For this reason, above all, I did not like this movie very much. I think the acting was fine (Chuck in particular was very good) and the direction by the same was not what dragged the movie down for me. It was the feel of it being a play I was watching. It was a bit too theatrical for me.

I respect the hell out of him for doing this movie, because he did it for himself and the dream he had of doing it for many years. It was a very personal movie for him, one I believe he was pleased with. I just wish I could have liked it more.

I'm kind of in the same boat Thorn. Never been big on plays and Shakespeare either, so this film didn't really click with me, though I respect Chuck's determination to pursue such a personal project.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:52 pm 
Astronaut

That's your preference of course, but if you watch the movie, please tell us what you think of it just as a movie, you don't need to relate it to the Shakespearian play. Simply let us have your take on the movie and performances, okay?

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 am 
Call Me Harry

tizzyd wrote:
That's your preference of course, but if you watch the movie, please tell us what you think of it just as a movie, you don't need to relate it to the Shakespearian play. Simply let us have your take on the movie and performances, okay?

Honestly, I found the movie... boring, despite Chuck's obvious passion for the source material. I found the pacing sluggish and the overall soap opera that was the title characters romance just wasn't engaging to me emotionally, despite how hard the cast tried.

The film did have some beautiful scenery though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next