Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: an Honorary Charlton Heston US Postage Stamp
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:24 pm 
Michelangelo

The 18th stamp in the Legends of Hollywood series salutes Heston
:applause: :thumbsup:

http://uspsstamps.com/stamps/charlton-heston
Quote:

With his chiseled jaw, compelling baritone voice, and muscular physique, Charlton Heston (1923-2008) seemed perfectly at home leading a cast of thousands. The 18th stamp in the Legends of Hollywood series salutes an actor who portrayed presidents and prophets, Moses and Michelangelo. Known for tackling heroic roles in epic blockbusters, Heston made more than 70 films in a career that spanned seven decades.

This stamp features a color portrait based on a photograph taken by the actor’s wife, Lydia Clarke Heston. An image of Heston from the 1959 movie Ben-Hur decorates the selvage. Originally shot in black and white, the photograph was later hand-tinted, and shows Heston in his costume from the monumental chariot racing scene, one of the most famous action sequences ever filmed. Heston won a best actor Oscar for playing the title character, Judah Ben-Hur, a Judean prince who rebels against Roman occupation during the time of Christ.
Designed by art director Greg Breeding, the stamp was illustrated by noted movie artist Drew Struzan. The Charlton Heston stamp is being issued in sheets of 20 self-adhesive Forever® stamps.

:cheers: :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Absolutely wonderful news! Not sure this is the stamp they've petitioned for for years now, but I'm sure they're pleased about this, as the rest of us are. Will definitely add these to my collection!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:09 pm 
Marabunta

yes very beautiful thanks for the info

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 pm 
El Cid

Is this stamp for real?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

James Byrne wrote:
Is this stamp for real?

Indeed it is, James.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:19 pm 
Astronaut

Really good a portrait. But I should be happier if the stamp picturised him in costume than in plain dress.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 am 
Michelangelo

TCM and USPS to salute Charlton Heston with Stamp Dedication Ceremony During 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival

Categories: Press Releases
Written By Sara Bibel
March 5th, 2014
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/0 ... al/242425/

Quote:

TCM and U.S. Postal Service® to Salute Charlton Heston with

Stamp Dedication Ceremony during 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood

April 11 Event at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX to Include Issuance of

New "Legends of Hollywood" Stamp Featuring Heston

Heston Family Members to Attend Ceremony, Followed by TCM Classic Film Festival's

World Premiere Screening of Restored Touch of Evil (1958)

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and the United States Postal Service® (USPS) will salute Charlton Heston with the issuance of a brand new commemorative Forever® postage stamp featuring the Oscar®-winning actor. The official First Day of Issue Ceremony will take place at Hollywood's historic TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX® on Friday, April 11, at 10 a.m. during the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival. TCM's Ben Mankiewicz is set to host the ceremony, which will be attended by members of Heston’s family, including Heston’s wife Lydia Clarke Heston, who took the photograph on which the stamp is based, and his son, filmmaker Fraser Heston, his daughter Holly Rochell and other honored guests. Immediately following the ceremony, the USPS will offer collectible First-Day-of-Issue postmarks and have the Charlton Heston Forever® stamp and related philatelic merchandise on sale. In addition, the day's honored guests will be on-hand for an autograph session.

TCM's celebration of Charlton Heston will continue at noon, when festival passholders have the opportunity to attend the World Premiere screening of the newly restored Touch of Evil (1958), to be introduced by Mankiewicz and Fraser Heston. And one week before the ceremony, Mankiewicz will present a night of Charlton Heston films on TCM Friday, April 4, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET).
“On behalf of my mother, Lydia; my sister, Holly Rochell; and the entire Heston family, I can say enthusiastically how deeply grateful we all are that my father, Charlton, has been honored with a 'Legends of Hollywood' postage stamp," said Fraser Heston. "In many ways, a nation's stamps are a cross-section of a culture, its ideals and icons, in microcosm. As a fervently patriotic American, my father would be deeply moved to know that his image, based on one of my mother’s photographs, will be on a United States Forever Postage Stamp. We look forward with great anticipation to the unveiling of the stamp at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood on April 11."

The Charlton Heston stamp ceremony is one of many events being staged in celebration of TCM's 20th Anniversary as a leading authority in classic film. The anniversary coincides with the TCM Classic Film Festival, which takes place Thursday, April 10 – Sunday, April 13.

TCM Salutes Charlton Heston

Friday, April 4, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET) on TCM

One week before the unveiling of a new postage stamp honoring Charlton Heston, TCM's Ben Mankiewicz will present a night of the legendary actor's films. During introductions, they will not only discuss Charlton Heston's remarkable career, but also what it was like for Fraser Heston to grow up with such a legendary father.

8 p.m. – Ruby Gentry (1952)

9:30 p.m. – The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)

Midnight – 55 Days at Peking (1963)

3 a,m. – Soylent Green (1973)

4:45 a.m. – Skyjacked (1972)

"Legends of Hollywood: Charlton Heston" Stamp Dedication Ceremony

Friday, April 11, at 10 a.m. (PT) at the TCL Chinese Theater IMAX®

TCM's Ben Mankiewicz will host this special Stamp Dedication Ceremony honoring Charlton Heston. Filmmaker Fraser Heston, son of the legendary actor, will also participate in the ceremony, which will be attended by Heston family members and honored guests. This event is open to the public, with seating on a first-come, first-served basis.

"Legends of Hollywood: Charlton Heston" First-Day Sales and Autograph Session

Friday, April 11, at 10:45 a.m. (PT) outside the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX®

Outside the theater immediately following the Stamp Dedication Ceremony, the USPS will offer first-day sales and cancellations of the Heston stamp. There will also be a special autographing session with Ben Mankiewicz, Fraser Heston and other honored guests. The USPS will continue to be on hand throughout the festival to offer additional sales and cancellations. This event is open to the public.

TCM Classic Film Festival: Touch of Evil (1958) – World Premiere Restoration

Friday, April 11, at Noon (PT) at the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX®

:cowboy1: :ddape: :elcid: :neville: :soylent: :harrysteele: :sherlock: :richelieu: :ljsilver: :uzi:
:applause: :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:02 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

My GOD! What an amazing event! It's even open to the public! Is anyone here going to attend? You can even get to meet the son of the man and get an autograph! Oh man, if I didn't have a honeymoon all planned and a vacation by the end of the year that needs money saved up to, I would have taken the opportunity and go to LA for this.

Hopefully some other member can make it and give us a report of the event.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:44 pm 
Marabunta

looking the stamps Legends of Hollywood of the past, one that I really like is Gary Cooper amazing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 pm 
Michelangelo

Charlton Heston: recollections by Jean Picker Firstenberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sb0Zkux9TA

Quote:
Published on 12 Mar 2014
Former American Film Institute director and former chair of the Citizens' Stamp
Advisory Committee Jean Picker Firstenberg speaks to Linn's Stamp News about
Hollywood legend Charlton Heston and the Legends of Hollywood stamp series.
Heston will be featured on a commemorative forever stamp issued April 11, 2014,
in Los Angeles, Calif. Video by Linn's Stamp News. Linns.com.

:cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next