Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Alternate Posters of Heston Films
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 am 
Prince Judah

I wanted to try a thread on different or unusual posters for Charlton Heston's various films. This might be original creations never seen before - trying to improve on what went before - or just rare posters not usually seen. For example, here is one I already posted a few months ago on SECRET OF THE INCAS (1955) in one of the Memorabilia threads:

Post subject: Re: Alternate Posters of Heston Films
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:37 pm 
Prince Judah

Knight , I started a similar thread for vintage posters, which are quite unusual like this one. Should I remove them here? There are some unusual posters for BEN-HUR in the thread for the movie itself, you can repost them here as well.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm 
Prince Judah

It's up to you, Judah, though I think the two threads are slightly different: yours features vintage (old) posters that are nonetheless well known - perhaps collectibles; this thread here was planned to feature posters that almost no one has ever seen before, like some obscure ones outside the USA, or new ones (therefore never seen before) created by a member here, such as this:
____________ Image Film Year: 1968 - Poster Year: 2012

This is an interesting study of the main character of the film, done up as a poster; the art looks familiar... as if I did see it only the day before somewhere... :cowboy1: but, the point is that it's not a Will Penny poster that has been seen before elsewhere and is unique to this forum. Does it improve on existing posters? That's one of the reasons for this thread, to ask those questions.

If you feel that one of your posters is very rare or hardly seen by anyone, then maybe you can copy it to this thread. But, it may be more interesting to continue these as two seperate threads and see how they develop...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 am 
Astronaut

OAO HEROES! Carry on! my contribution-- a poster for Ben-Hur

Attachments:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 132.91 KiB | Viewed 2129 times ]

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:54 pm 
Prince Judah

OK, perhaps this will clarify what I mean by alternate posters. I've always been underwhelmed by the existing posters for the first Planet of the Apes film. The film was a success anyway, so maybe I'm alone in that. But, at one point, I tried to create a new poster for the film as an alternative, by using an existing painting; the result:
____________ Image film year: 1968 :ddape: poster year: 2010

Of course, it doesn't really look like Heston there, even from mostly behind, but I thought it was a striking painting... :ddape:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:01 pm 
Prince Judah

Then I tried the same thing with the sequel to the first Apes film; again, because I admired the painting:

________________ Image film year: 1970 :ddape: poster year: 2010

In this case, I probably went overboard on the cast credits, but I always thought the sequel had a good, big cast. :ddape:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I've also never been too fond of the original Planet of the Apes poster. Compared to the movie amazing it's rather underwhelming.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:26 pm 
Prince Judah

Chrysagon wrote:
____________ Image film year: 1968 :ddape: poster year: 2010

Of course, it doesn't really look like Heston there, even from mostly behind, but I thought it was a striking painting... :ddape:

Well, perhaps it is not Taylor, it rather looks like John the Baptish, shouting "Repent! " to those Damned Dirty Apes! :ddape:

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's an interesting redux poster of The Omega Man from this site - http://japhethgonzalez.com/html/the_Omega_Man.html

Less interesting is how they managed to completely mess up Chuck's name:
(unless it's a non-USA spelling) :neville:
_____ Image film year: 1971 :neville: poster year: 2012

This problem with Heston's name happens a lot (Thorn mentioned this on the Alternate Films thread);
also, for some reason, I can't read anything below Anthony Zerbe's credit... :-?
here's a close-up of a portion of the poster: Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:21 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That is one cool poster. Easily looks like it could have been a teaser poster for the movie had it been released in another decade.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next