Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Airport 1975
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Directed by: Jack Smight
Production year: 1974
Starring: Charlton Heston, Karen Black, George Kennedy

Plot:

A mid-air collision involving a a small plane and a commercial jetliner leads to potential disaster, as a plane loaded with passengers and no pilot becomes the worst nightmare for a flight attendant tasked with flying the craft.

Trailer:

Post subject: Re: Airport 1975
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

NOTE: This thread will be used for general talk of the movie Airport 1975. If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss, please start a new topic in this section.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

According to IMDb trivia:

One of the films included in "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time (and how they got that way)" by Harry Medved and Randy Lowell.

What kind of a list is that, really? I can't take a list that has this as one of the worst movies ever seriously. Sure, this movie isn't perfect, but it's far from bad. I was entertained by it. Not Heston's best disaster movie, but it's up there among the better ones IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 am 
Marabunta

Detective Thorne, you know the old saying "those that can - act; and those that can't are critics. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Leiningen wrote:
Detective Thorne, you know the old saying "those that can - act; and those that can't are critics. :twisted:

Indeed Leiningen! :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:23 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Newspper ad from The Milwaukee Journal - 1974.

Attachments:
airport.png
airport.png [ 720.39 KiB | Viewed 2227 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:09 am 
Prince Judah

I just watched this one again. I have it on the 4-film DVD set, AIRPORT TERMINAL PACK.
The DVDs in this one are the double-sided variety - 2 DVDs, with 2 films on each DVD. The initial menu on each is strange: it gives you the option of watching 1 of 2 films, but there is only one film on each side. So, on the first DVD, on the side which contains AIRPORT 1975, it gives the option of selecting AIRPORT or AIRPORT 1975; if you select AIRPORT , it tells you that it's on the other side of the DVD. :-? Why bother placing this option in..? It's like a trick or like a reflection of the disaster film cycle, a disastrous DVD menu.. :lol:

In regard to the remarks above about how this is rated as one of the worst films by some people... I think this kind of thinking is based on a few minor scenes: there's Helen Reddy as the singing nun, playing a guitar to the ill girl, Linda Blair. Yes, it's kind of corny and silly (I realize now that the spoof AIRPLANE! copied this for a key scene). There's the gimmick of Gloria Swanson playing herself. There are some goofy passengers. But, the harshest critics behave as if this is the whole film, when these are just small parts of it. I found there to be ample tension as the film progresses.

I have to give some props to actress Karen Black now; I didn't think too much about her when I watched this years ago, but seeing her now, with that cold air blowing at her through the hole in the airplane and her near-panic as she has to take the pilot's seat, I felt myself getting nervous after a couple of minutes of this. Heston had just played a pilot a couple of years earlier in SKYJACKED, but there were subtle differences to his character here - he was a bit more relaxed, more... modern. He and George Kennedy played off each other very well; both are big tough men, but quite different.

Getting back to the tension... I found the climax to be somewhat anti-climactic and lacking tension when I was much younger and watched this for the first time. Heston's Murdock basically has to land the airplane and.. well, that's what he does - the end. Back then, as a young man, I guess I expected something to happen at the last minute, with half the passengers getting killed (this was feasible because Murdock mentions in the final act how he can't tell if the landing gear will lock). Now that I'm older, I realize that it can't end that way, negating the rest of the film's impetus towards getting everyone down to safety. I guess there is some last-minute tension as it looks like Murdock can't slow the airplane down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:39 am 
Astronaut

That scene reminds me of the OMEGA MAN- planecrash-- but that's different. Heston served for two years in the U.S Airforce during the war, isn't it? Surely he had some practical idea of handling a plane... they had to learn some basic things , as I know from an elder cousin, who is in the military.

My Lord, I too am bewitched!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:54 am 
Prince Judah

tizzyd wrote:
Heston served for two years in the U.S Airforce during the war, isn't it? Surely he had some practical idea of handling a plane... they had to learn some basic things , as I know from an elder cousin, who is in the military.

I didn't think about that -- I just watched the film and some of the late scenes show Heston expertly handling the controls of the airplane; I figured he was just using his acting skills and got some coaching while filming, but maybe he did use some personal experience from wartime in this - I don't really know.

This film and a quote from it made the cover of a hardcover book, published half-a-dozen years ago; I mentioned this elsewhere, on THE OMEGA MAN thread, I think:

The actual quote was in the form of a question, uttered by one of the panicking passengers. (see Quotes thread) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:08 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
I didn't think about that -- I just watched the film and some of the late scenes show Heston expertly handling the controls of the airplane; I figured he was just using his acting skills and got some coaching while filming, but maybe he did use some personal experience from wartime in this - I don't really know.

In his book, Chuck mentions that when preparing for the role, he took some simulated flight classes, or something like that, to make it look more realistic.