Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Airport 1975
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 am 
Call Me Harry

Just watched this film back to back with "Airport" from Netflix. Not Chuck's best but not terrible. Like "Airport" (which star Burt Lancaster notoriously disowned as "the worst piece of junk ever" or something to that effect) it suffers a bit from having too many characters, some of whom you just don't care about. Chuck spends most of the film being the stalwart hero, which he could do in his sleep better than some of today's actors can do awake and sober, yet at the same time he doesn't have much to do beyond that.

Karen Black gives a good performance as Chuck's imperiled stewardess girlfriend, conveying genuine fear as she struggles to keep the plane going. And of course George Kennedy (reprising his role from "Airport") is his usual lovably curmudgeon self.

Special effects still look pretty good all these years later. The scene of the pilot's coming apart after the private jet collides with it still packs a solid punch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:14 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Like "Airport" (which star Burt Lancaster notoriously disowned as "the worst piece of junk ever" or something to that effect)

Really? I'd never heard that before. I suspect he's done a lot worse than Airport.

And yes, Chuck sure didn't have a lot to do in this one, did he? It's not until he gets into the plane that he really gets to do heroic stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:
Like "Airport" (which star Burt Lancaster notoriously disowned as "the worst piece of junk ever" or something to that effect)

Really? I'd never heard that before. I suspect he's done a lot worse than Airport.

It's in the personal quotes section of his IMDB page - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000044/bio (5th quote down). I'm sure Burt Lancaster has lesser films on his resume than "Airport" but every actor makes at least one or two films that he or she isn't proud of for whatever reason, whether because they only signed on in return for a really big paycheck or maybe the script they initially read and signed on for was a lot better than what the film ultimately turned out to be, etc.

Quote:
And yes, Chuck sure didn't have a lot to do in this one, did he? It's not until he gets into the plane that he really gets to do heroic stuff.

Such is the way of things some times. I don't remember Chuck talking much about "Airport 1975" in his autobiography, but I suppose like any actor he just went where the flavor was because sometimes that's all any actor can do. They can't all be classics.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 pm 
Prince Judah

Karen Black, the actress who came to prominence at the start of the seventies in such films as Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces with Jack Nicholson, and later starred with Heston in Airport 1975, has just died at age 74. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/k ... ies-431637
Image Image
Her other well-known seventies roles were in Nashville, the disaster film with Heston, Day of the Locust and the final Hitchcock film, Family Plot. Recently, I acquired a DVD of her lesser-known seventies film The Pyx (1973), a strange suspense-horror film from Canada.

And we can't forget Matheson's Trilogy of Terror (1975), in which Karen Black had the chance to show her stuff playing 3 (or 4?) different characters. In some ways, it was this TV movie that was responsible for her later horror film roles. The 'Devil Doll' segment stood out and remains possibly the most scary few minutes of TV horror ever filmed. I have the DVD.
Image Image
.....could this be Karen Black...?

Her other genre roles in horror and sci-fi include Burnt Offerings (1976), Capricorn One (1977), Killer Fish (79), the remake of Invaders From Mars (1986) and It's Alive III:Island of the Alive. R.I.P.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Pretty surprised to read this, 74 seems like a relatively "young" age to die these days. Trilogy of Terror sounds very interesting, that picture of the doll makes it look like something I'd really like.

May she rest in peace :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm 
Michelangelo

R.I.P. Karen Black
:(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:12 am 
Call Me Harry

Rest in Peace, Ms Black. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:06 am 
Prince Judah

Efrem Zimbalist Jr. just died, at age 95. He played the pilot in this film, though I don't think he and Heston actually had any scenes together. R.I.P.
(his daughter had an early role playing Heston's daughter in The Awakening 1980)
ImageImage

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/r-i-p-e ... balist-jr/
R.I.P. Efrem Zimbalist Jr By ERIK PEDERSEN | Friday May 2, 2014 @ 7:38pm PDT

The star of TV’s The F.B.I. and 77 Sunset Strip had scores of big- and small-screen credits in a career that spanned more than 60 years. Efrem Zimbalist Jr died today at his ranch in Solvang, CA. He was 95. “We are heartbroken to announce the passing into peace of our beloved father,” his family said in a statement. “A devout Christian, he actively enjoyed his life to the last day, showering love on his extended family, playing golf, and visiting with close friends. We will miss him dearly.” He also was the embodiment of cool. He had numerous roles before and after, but Zimbalist is best remembered for the ABC dramas 77 Sunset Strip, which ran from 1958-64, and The F.B.I., which spanned 1965-74. On the latter he played Inspector Lewis Erskine, the Bureau’s calm but persistent agent who always got his man. He toplined Sunset Strip as Stuart Bailey, a judo-chopping private eye whose work took him to some of the planet’s most glamorous spots. The New York native started his career on the stage after World War II, in which he earned a Purple Heart with the Army. He had supporting roles in a number of Broadway shows before he started to land TV work in the mid-’50s. The exposure led Zimbalist to roles in a handful of films during through the late ’50s, along with a recurring gig as a suave con man on Maverick with James Garner and Jack Kelly. During his nearly uninterrupted ensuing run as one of ABC’s leading men, he starred in such feature films as The Chapman Report and Harlow and played the husband of a blind woman (Audrey Hepburn) tormented by thugs in her apartment in Wait Until Dark.

After The F.B.I. ended its nine-year run in 1974, Zimbalist starred in Airport ’75 before focusing on TV for the rest of his career. He co-starred in the 1980 miniseries Scruples, played a senator on The Love Boat and recurred on Remington Steele, which starred his daughter, Stephanie Zimbalist, and Pierce Brosnan. He later did arcs on the dramas Hotel and Zorro. By the early ’90s his career had taken a turn: in his mid-70s, Zimbalist began doing voice work, ranging from Alfred in Batman: The Animated Series to Iron Man and Spider-Man. He reprised his role as Alfred the butler in The New Batman Adventures and episodes of Superman and Justice League.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:17 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

95, wow! Looks to have had a very respectful career. R.I.P.

Was he related to Sam Zimbalist, producer of Ben-Hur?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 am 
Marabunta

Detective Thorn wrote:
95, wow! Looks to have had a very respectful career. R.I.P.

Was he related to Sam Zimbalist, producer of Ben-Hur?

looking the biography of his father of Russian Origin Efrem Zimbalist a well know composer, violinist, conductor, teacher, there isn't metion about Sam Zimbalist, so I dont think there is a realation

about this movie, the last score of Alfred Newman, the last movie of Van Heflin