Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: AFI's Top 10 Sci-Fi Films
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:22 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Back in 2008, the American Film Institute (AFI) listed what they think is the best 10 sci-fi films of all time. Here is their list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
3. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. The Day the Earth Stood Still
6. Blade Runner
7. Alien
8. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
10. Back to the Future

Is anyone else here somewhat stumped by this list? I can certainly understand why The Omega Man is not on the list. I can even understand why Soylent Green is not on the list either, but really, no Planet of the Apes? I mean, I like Back to the Future and all, but there's no way in hell it's a better sci-fi film than Planet of the Apes, same goes for some of the other titles on that list. It invalidates the whole list IMO. However...

They had 50 movies nominated to be on the Top 10, before they narrowed it down. Here is the complete nominee list, I've highlighted those that should interest the members on the forum:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Alien
Altered States
The Andromeda Strain
Back to the Future
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
Blade Runner
Children of Men
A Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Cocoon
Contact
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Destination Moon
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
Escape From New York
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fantastic Voyage
The Fly (1986)
Forbidden Planet
Frankenstein (1931)
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Independence Day
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Invisible Man (1933)
It Came From Outer Space
Jurassic Park
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
The Matrix
Men in Black
Minority Report
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Repo Man
RoboCop
Rollerball (1975)
Silent Running (one of my favourites)
Soylent Green
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope
Starman
The Stepford Wives (1975)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Them!
The Thing From Another World
The Time Machine (1960)
Total Recall
Tron
2001: A Space Odyssey
The War of the Worlds (1953)
Westworld

At least both Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green were candidates for the Top 10 list. Still, what a bunch of BS.

Any other thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: AFI's Top 10 Sci-Fi Films
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 am 
Prince Judah

The AFI list seems arbitrary to me. The Top 50 looks pretty good but after that it seems like they picked the top 10 names out of a hat. I agree about Back to the Future - it's a comedy with sci-fi elements; it's very entertaining - I like it. But - top 10 sci-fi film? Nuh-uh.

The one that really baffles me and has for nearly 30 years is E.T. - it's a nice little movie but I could never understand its incredible box office and making all these top 10 lists. I now think that Spielberg made a deal with the devil back around 1980 and reaped all the rewards from this innocuous piece of filmmaking. I mean, kids on bikes suddenly float into the air and people think this is something masterful; it's like they've been hypnotized. There's not much science fiction in it anyway after the established premise of a stranded alien; go figure. :-?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
The AFI list seems arbitrary to me. The Top 50 looks pretty good but after that it seems like they picked the top 10 names out of a hat. I agree about Back to the Future - it's a comedy with sci-fi elements; it's very entertaining - I like it. But - top 10 sci-fi film? Nuh-uh.

Indeed. In my DVD collection, I'd never put the Back to the Future trilogy in the Sci-fi section, it belongs in comedy.

Chrysagon wrote:
The one that really baffles me and has for nearly 30 years is E.T. - it's a nice little movie but I could never understand its incredible box office and making all these top 10 lists. I now think that Spielberg made a deal with the devil back around 1980 and reaped all the rewards from this innocuous piece of filmmaking. I mean, kids on bikes suddenly float into the air and people think this is something masterful; it's like they've been hypnotized. There's not much science fiction in it anyway after the established premise of a stranded alien; go figure. :-?

:lol: You know, I haven't seen E.T. since sometime in the 90's basically, so I can't agree or disagree on this one. Though I do remember that I wasn't blown away by it like so many others were. I'd have to see it again to know what I think of it now.

One thing I'll know for sure though. He's no ALF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:03 am 
Prince Judah

I just remembered that at about the same time in 2008, maybe a bit later (maybe in response to AFI), there was another top 10 sci-fi list presented by MovieFone. Here's the information from back then:

Blade Runner has been named the best sci-fi movie of all time in a new online poll.

The futuristic film, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, tops a list compiled by editors at Moviefone.com - beating all the Star Wars, Alien, and Terminator movies hands down.

Moviefone editors explain their choice, "A box office dud at the time of its release, this movie has undergone more facelifts than Joan Rivers. Regardless, it's a dark future with film noir elements dripping from every pore."

The poll also throws down the gauntlet for movie makers to create a new contender - none of the top 25 was made in the 21st Century.

The top ten is as follows:

Blade Runner, 1982
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, 1980
    Aliens, 1986
    Star Wars: A New Hope, 1977
    The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951
    The Matrix, 1999
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day, 1991
    The Thing, 1982
    Alien, 1979
    Forbidden Planet, 1956

What's most interesting to me is the comment made above "none of the top 25 was made in the 21st Century" - this validates a lot of comments in various Forums (by older fans usually) about how sci-fi filmmaking has gone downhill in the past decade, probably due to, in part, the advent of CGI, the computer FX that permeate everything now. Actually, filmmaking in general has gone downhill, but it might affect sci-fi the most.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:54 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I definitely agree that sci-fi today can't compare to older sci-fi. Like I said in my little review of the new Planet of the Apes movie, most of them are just good popcorn flicks.

Must say I'm glad the other list has Forbidden Planet on it, I definitely missed that one as well in the AFI list.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 am 
Prince Judah

I came across another list today, a Top 25 Sci-Fi Film list, on some blog I'm not familiar with. I think it was created several months ago. I liked many of the choices and noted that two of Heston's films made the list. You can read all the details explaining each choice here: http://www.squidoo.com/25greatestscienc ... ramebuster

Here's the list, going in reverse order:

25. Westworld (1973) Image

24. Them (1954)

23. The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976)

22. Contact (1997)

21. A Clockwork Orange (1971) Image
20. Mad Max 2 a.k.a.The Road Warrior (1981) Image
19. The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) Image

18. Starship Troopers (1997)

17. The War Of The Worlds (1953)
Guns, tanks, bombs - they're like toys against them! Image

16. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) Image

15. Inception (2010)
Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.

14. The Omega Man (1971) Image

13. Battle Royale (2000)

12. They Live (1988) Image

11. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

10. Back to the Future (1985)

9. Alien (1979)

8. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

7. Star Wars (1977)

6. Children Of Men (2006)

5. The Terminator (1984) Image

4. Rollerball (1975) Image

3. Robocop (1987) Image

2. Planet Of The Apes (1968)
Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape! Image

1. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Planet of the Apes being in the 2nd spot? Finally a list I can respect! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm 
Prince Judah

Here's a top 50 Sci-Fi film list at Parallel Universe: http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/ ... ?gt1=28101

It's comprehensive with good explanations for each choice and neat-o stills.
I'll list the first few in reverse order, but the rest you have to find out at the site:

50) The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
49) Things to Come (1936)
48) I Married a Monster From Outer Space (1958)
47) Godzilla (1954)
46) Strange Invaders (1983)
45) They Live (1988)
44) It Came From Outer Space (1953)
43) The Omega Man (1971) Image
42) Invaders From Mars (1953)
41) The Andromeda Strain (1971)
40) War of the Worlds (1953)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am 
Prince Judah

Where is the list, Chrysagon? I clicked on the site but it does not appear on that page, am I to click on any special link or button? Sorry for asking such a silly question.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:48 am 
Prince Judah

itsjudah24 wrote:
Where is the list, Chrysagon? I clicked on the site but it does not appear on that page, am I to click on any special link or button? Sorry for asking such a silly question.

There's no such thing as a silly question, Judah... except this one! (just kidding :lol: ).

OK, when you click that link, you see the title of the site - Parallel Universe - and underneath that is a movie still (3 stills together actually) - right? On the top right of that movie still, there is the word "next" which is a link. Click the link "next" and it will take you to the first film on the list in reverse order - #50.

Incidently, I had not checked out the entire list when I created my post and only later found out that I could not find PLANET OF THE APES on this list; sacrilege! sacrilege! (no Soylent Green either). It's still an interesting line-up of films, just with some dopey omissions.