Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:13 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: A Man For All Seasons (1988)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 am 
Prince Judah

Directed by Charlton Heston

Based on the play by Robert Bolt and following a theatrical feature version in 1966, this is about 16th century England and Sir Thomas More (Heston), the Lord Chancellor, who comes into conflict with the king (Henry VIII) over his wish to annul his marriage to Queen Catherine. The king also wants to become the supreme head of the Catholic Church in England, supplanting the pope; More resigns rather than sign such a request and is eventually arrested. Vanessa Redgrave plays More's wife while John Gielgud has the small role of Cardinal Wolsey. This telefilm has the distinction of being the first TV film produced for TNT.

Post subject: Re: A Man For All Seasons (1988)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 am 
Prince Judah

I finally watched this on the new DVD, just recently released. I last saw this when it aired on TV over 20 years ago, so I had barely any memory of it. I have seen the theatrical version years ago and comparisons with that older version invariably become prominent in any discussion. One line of thought which I agree with is that Paul Scofield's oscar-winning performance as More in '66 may have been more polished and dramatic, but Heston brought a humanistic approach to the character which Scofield's lacked. I find that ironic - Heston has often been accused of being wooden, but here his character is more approachable and relatable than Scofield's, who was more robotic in his delivery.

Heston's version also follows the original play more closely (it's a long film, at 2 & 1/2 hours), mostly with the inclusion of "the common man" character, here played in unexpectedly effective fashion by Roy Kinnear. He pops up in several scenes, usually as More's servant, but also functioning as narrator and breaking the 4th wall, speaking directly to the audience. He lends a poignant air to the final scene and I found it to be more of a tragedy than the earlier version because Heston comes across as so likable by the conclusion. Also, another good contribution by Richard Johnson (who was in a couple of other TV movies with Heston), as well as excellent support by unknowns Ben Withrow as Cromwell and Martin Chamberlain as King Henry VIII.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:23 pm 
Michelangelo

Awards obtained: CableACE Awards and Nominated for Golden Globe.

Vanessa Redgrave won the 1990 CableACE Awards in a Moview or Miniseries (A Man For All Seasons)
She was also nominated the 1989 Golden Globe Best Performance by an Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV (A Man For All Seasons)

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 am 
Call Me Harry

You know I waited forever for this to become available on Netflix and when it finally did and they sent it to me you know what? The disc was cracked. Had to report it as damaged and sent it back. ARGH! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:38 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

EL-CID-1983 wrote:
You know I waited forever for this to become available on Netflix and when it finally did and they sent it to me you know what? The disc was cracked. Had to report it as damaged and sent it back. ARGH! :evil:

Tough break, that sucks. I would have been annoyed as hell as well. Do you still buy DVD's or do you rent/stream most of the movies you watch?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:05 am 
Call Me Harry

Detective Thorn wrote:
EL-CID-1983 wrote:

Tough break, that sucks. I would have been annoyed as hell as well. Do you still buy DVD's or do you rent/stream most of the movies you watch?

I buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays that I want, occasionally use You-Tube and other sites for watching whatever animation strikes my fancy, but prefer to watch full length films on a proper TV rather than a laptop because I'm old fashioned and it's damn near impossible to find good usable downloads of the films I want.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:39 am 
Prince Judah

I think a few members here may find this interesting:
there was a mention of Heston and his 'new' TV Movie, A Man For All Seasons,
on a portion of an early page in a May 21, 1988 issue of the TV Guide magazine.
I don't have that TV Guide anymore, but I did scan that page and reproduce it
here; I made sure to make it large enough so that the text could be read:

The short article mentions TBS as the channel for the film; I thought it was TNT :-?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:18 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Yeah, that's odd because so did I. Maybe they just got it wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:49 am 
Call Me Harry

Just saw this a few days ago. I haven't seen the play and still have not seen the 1960s film but I found this to be a well done feature with good production values and good performances all around. Now I'm even more inclined to watch the earlier adaptation.