Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: 50's Sci-fi movies
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:12 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I noticed we are more than a couple here on the forum that love the Sci-fi movies that came out in the 50's, so I thought a thread dedicated to those movies would be a good idea.

So, what are some of your favorites of the genre?

Post subject: Re: 50's Sci-fi movies
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:28 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

I guess I'll start. My very favorite 50's Sci-fi movie, and one of my all-time favorite movies is...

I saw it for the first time back in May, after wanting to see it for many years. I'm glad I finally did, it was just perfect. I watched it no less than twice within 24 hours. It had a huge impact on me. In many ways it's the ultimate Sci-fi movie, which could explain why it was such a big inspiration for Gene Roddenberry when he created Star Trek.

The cast, score, story, direction and effects were great for its time and still holds up to this day IMO. Robby the Robot is a cool character and design. As soon as I finished watching the movie I went on Ebay looking for a good Robby the Robot figure.

I can't say enough good things about this movie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:49 am 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Some of these may not be pure sci-fi, but I listed them anyway. I think there's a lot in this genre I still need to see.

Forbidden Planet (my favorite sci-fi movie)
The Day the Earth Stood Still
War of the Worlds
Gojira (Godzilla - 1954 Japanese Version)
Rodan (1956 Japanese movie)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Creature From the Black Lagoon
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
The Quatermass Xperiment
Quatermass 2
Them!
The Thing From Another World
This Island Earth
X the Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:41 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Out of those movies, The Thing From Another World, The Day Earth Stood Still and 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea are on the top of my list of 50's sci-fi movies I need to see.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:08 pm 
Marabunta

Okay here are my top picks in order:

1. World Without End
2. Them!
3. When Worlds Collide
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still
5. War of the Worlds
6. Forbidden Planet
7. The Thing From Another World
8. Target Earth
9. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
10. Rocketship X-M

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:38 pm 
Soylent Corp. Lackey

Well, I ain't gonna deny my love for Edward D. Wood Jr. movies...

Yes, it's poorly made (at times laughable), but it had heart. And Bela Lugosi was a fantastic actor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 am 
Prince Judah

For me, nothing could surpass the awesomeness of...

Yeah, Forbidden Planet is the best sf from the fifties - it gets better with each upgrade (from Laserdisc to DVD to HD), but IT! (1958) always socked it to me, from the moment I first watched it as a 10-year old on a small b&w TV (it was a b&w film anyway) to the recent DVD version. IT! never lets me down - it's the monster in a spaceship to beat.

(copied by Alien much later in 1979)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:04 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I haven't seen that movie, but with that kind of recommendation I really want to see it now!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:50 pm 
Prince Judah

I assumed you'd seen IT! so let me clarify: IT! is like some weird, small black&white cousin to Forbidden Planet; where FP is big, this is small. It's got a smaller crew, a smaller ship and it's got the prototypical fifties monster: Image

IT! works best when one is a small kid - it gave me nightmares when I was 10 yrs old; but, as an adult, one can appreciate what they were able to do on such a lower budget - create a Haunted House in Outer Space with a palpable sense of urgency and tension. The acting, to me, is very good - none of that overly melodramatic style in many of the old sf pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:57 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

I have no problems watching old movies and appreciating them, I'm sure I'll even find this one somewhat scary when I first see it. It looks very good, I love these kind of movies so I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next