Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 50's Sci-fi movies
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, that gave quite a laugh. Thanks, Chrysagon! Yes, this is definitely one of the worst movies ever made. I own it, of course :lol: It is a must have, for the sheer crappiness of it. First time I saw it in its entirety was when we had a reeeeeally slow day at my job. We knew it would be the day before, so we agreed to bring snacks for the event. We watched it on a co-workers cellphone and were glued to the little screen, laughing our butts off! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm 
Prince Judah

Tor,er,Thorn wrote:
We watched it on a co-workers cellphone and were glued to the little screen
A bunch of people watching Plan 9 on a cellphone..? I'm trying to picture it.. :lol: myself, I would need to see it on at least a medium-sized TV to fully appreciate wrestler Tor Johnson's emoting... :twisted:

Now we go back to the beginning of this thread, way back to one of the first posts:
Leiningen wrote:
Okay here are my top picks in order:

1. World Without End
2. Them!
3. When Worlds Collide
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still
5. War of the Worlds
6. Forbidden Planet
7. The Thing From Another World
8. Target Earth
9. Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
10. Rocketship X-M

This list is actually very close to what mine would be - maybe just the order re-arranged some.
I'd like to mention the #1 movie on this list - World Without End (1956). Check out this poster:
This little gem starred Hugh Marlowe, Nancy Gates and Rod Taylor in an early role; Taylor would star in THE TIME MACHINE (1960) a few years later. There are some similarities between the 2 films, such as time travel. As a matter of fact, there are also similarities to PLANET OF THE APES: astronauts end up on Earth in the far future; they begin to walk around in the first act, unaware of where/when they are; they encounter mutates (mutants?), which are like the apes in the Heston film. Eerie, eh?

In any case, this sci-fi film seems to have almost all the elements that sf fans look for in their films: besides time travel, there's space travel, a rocketship, mutated monsters, far future scenarios (year 2508 or so), secret underground civilizations, foxy ladies in provocative dress-wear, heroic astronauts/travelers, mind-blowing dilemmas... you name it, this film's got it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:53 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Sounds like a good 'un, can't say I've seen it yet, but you tempt me.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:10 am 
Prince Judah

Since we spent quite a few posts on this long thread discussing some of his films, I must mention that Ray Harryhausen passed away earlier today, at age 92. It's sort of too bad that Heston never had a chance to act in one of Harryhausen's films, squaring off against some mythical beast; I think it would have worked well.

I'm sure that many members here will recognize most if not all of these films and creatures:
in Fantasy>
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) - the Cyclops, the Dragon
    Jason and the Argonauts (1962) - giant Talos, living skeletons
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) - the Centaur, the Griffin
    Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) - the troglodyte, the sabretooth
    Clash of the Titans (1981) - the Kraken, Medusa
His sci-fi work includes
    The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953) - the Rhedosaurus
    It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955) - the giant octopus
    Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
    20 Million Miles to Earth (1957) - the Ymir
    Mysterious Island (1961) - giant bees, birds, crabs
    First Men in the Moon (1964) - le moon cow
    One Million Years BC (1966) - dinosaurs!
    Valley of Gwangi (1969) - more dinosaurs

R.I.P. -- for this work will surely live on.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Read about this today, definitely the biggest loss of the film world so far this year. He was a true legend with an amazing legacy behind him. I'm going to watch Earth vs. the Flying Saucers tonight in his honor.

R.I.P.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 am 
Prince Judah

Image from 1957
I checked this one out again recently. It follows in the footsteps of the previous big bug pictures THEM! (1954), TARANTULA (1955) and THE BLACK SCORPION, this time focusing on a giant, prehistoric preying mantis which suddenly thaws out in the Arctic Circle. This effort follows the other films a bit too closely, however, as much of the film is a copy of the earlier monster pictures; therefore, it comes across as generic and very typical.

The film it copies most, though, is IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA (1955): it's got the same set-up with the 3 main characters, consisting of 2 guys and a lady - the military hero is played by Craig Stevens, while the scientist hero is William Hopper (from 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH). They form a familiar triangle, a benign 'let's get along' trinity. The beginning also copies the earlier film, being like a short documentary on the radar defense network.

Other scenes in the film are direct steals from the other big bug pictures; I won't detail them for those who haven't seen this and plan to -- but I can't resist mentioning that famous bit in TARANTULA of a lady walking past a large window... (some members here probably recall this). As a point of trivia, this film was the same studio's follow-up to TARANTULA.

I've always had a slight problem with the gigantic size of the insect in this one. This thing is as big as the biggest dinosaurs (like a brontosaurus) and even if it's from prehistoric times, insects just can't get that big; I felt this even when I was a kid. I might accept a prehistoric bug the size of a small car, like the ants in THEM!, but not any bigger than that. The spider in TARANTULA had an explanation: it kept getting bigger due to man's science, an aberration.

On the other hand, I guess the giant mantis in this one is proportionally the same size compared to the ants in THEM! as a real mantis is to real ants (a real mantis gets to about 2 to 4 inches, while real small ants are about a quarter inch or an eighth of an inch). I don't think there was an explanation for the giant scorpions in THE BLACK SCORPION, so I probably shouldn't have a complaint. Incidentally, as tough as a preying mantis is, both here and in the real insect world, it has no chance against a scorpion; I've seen one of those youTube videos where-in sadists pit insects against each other for entertainment and I think a real scorpion made short work of a mantis with its pincers. Of course, it would depend on the size of the scorpion - I read that the smallest scorpions still fall prey to mantises.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. I haven't heard a great deal about it in these sort of discussions, so I'm not surprised you think it falls short of similar and great movies like Them! and Tarantula. I'll get to it, eventually. It's been a while since I bought some 50's sci-fi movies. Summer is the best time for them IMO, so I guess my next Amazon order will include a few.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:00 pm 
Prince Judah

Detective Thorn wrote:
It's been a while since I bought some 50's sci-fi movies. Summer is the best time for them IMO, so I guess my next Amazon order will include a few.
Before you order a few - separately - you might wanna check out the Classic SCI-FI ULTIMATE COLLECTION, which has several of these films on one set - Image http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sci-Fi-Co ... collection

That one above is only vol.2 -- there's also the complete set: Image http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sci-Fi-Ul ... collection

This is a way to get a grouping of these films all at once; of course, if you have no interest in some of the films in the set, then it may not be what you're looking for.

Also, before I forget, someday you might wanna check out a film called MATINEE from 1993 > Image http://www.amazon.com/Matinee-John-Good ... ds=matinee
This takes place in 1962 in Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Most of the story revolves around a movie producer of cheap sci-fi films and the local movie theater which is showing his latest picture - "MANT" (this sounds like a copy of THE DEADLY MANTIS but is about a man turned into a giant ant). It's very amusing and takes you back to that era of fifties golden age sci-fi movies. There's black-and-white footage of the MANT film as if it was an actual film made back then, though it's obviously a parody of fifties sci-fi films.
John Goodman plays the movie producer, who uses weird gimmicks in the theater to jolt the audience - he's based on real-life movie producer William Castle.
Most of the rest of the cast are kids; one of these is a big fan of monster movies and knows a lot of stuff about them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:49 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That is so funny, I saw a DVD of Matinee just a few days ago, for the first time ever. Had no idea what it was about, sounds like a lot of fun!

Those box sets are of interest as well. Do you own them? I'm not a big fan of box sets where the movies are jammed together in one keep case. Do the movies have their separate cases with artwork and such inside the box?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:41 pm 
Prince Judah

Yes, I have the full set vol. 1 & 2 which has 10 films. To me, as a fan of that fifties sci-fi era, this was a no-brainer to get, because, for one thing, some of these couldn't be found elsewhere on DVD (only DVD-Rs). The big one is THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN -- I couldn't understand why this classic was never released on DVD. So, this was the only way to get it, and all of these are nice video transfers, high quality.

But, these aren't in separate cases. There's interior cover artwork but it represents scenes from all the films, not singled out. The set is 2 fold out cases, 3 discs to each case, so 6 discs in all. There are 5 films in each case, so the first 2 discs in each case have 2 films on each disc, while the 3rd disc has a single film. I forgot that you prefer standalone discs for your DVD films, so this sounds like it isn't for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next