Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 50's Sci-fi movies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:25 pm 
Marabunta

I suppose looking the insects of be in topic here :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_0--PQq ... 00C88580AD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:42 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
Yes, I have the full set vol. 1 & 2 which has 10 films. To me, as a fan of that fifties sci-fi era, this was a no-brainer to get, because, for one thing, some of these couldn't be found elsewhere on DVD (only DVD-Rs). The big one is THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN -- I couldn't understand why this classic was never released on DVD. So, this was the only way to get it, and all of these are nice video transfers, high quality.

But, these aren't in separate cases. There's interior cover artwork but it represents scenes from all the films, not singled out. The set is 2 fold out cases, 3 discs to each case, so 6 discs in all. There are 5 films in each case, so the first 2 discs in each case have 2 films on each disc, while the 3rd disc has a single film. I forgot that you prefer standalone discs for your DVD films, so this sounds like it isn't for you.

Thanks for the info. There are always exceptions, if some of these movies are not available on DVD except for in this set like you mention, that could tempt me to get it.

By the way, hasn't America released The Incredible Shrinking Man on DVD by itself?! :o That is shocking.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:22 am 
El Cid

Detective Thorn wrote:
By the way, hasn't America released The Incredible Shrinking Man on DVD by itself?! :o That is shocking.
Yes, I should have clarified: at the time I got the CLASSIC SCI-FI ULTIMATE Collection set - in 2008 - there was no standalone DVD of THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN and I didn't know if or when it would be released as a single DVD. But, it was finally released 3 years later - http://www.amazon.com/Incredible-Shrink ... inking+man and there was an anniversary edition also released last year, though I don't know if there is any difference. Image There don't seem to be any special features and there is at least one complaint from an Amazon customer that the DVD has performance problems.

I don't think this film has been mentioned in any detail on this thread, as yet (I admit I've been more into the big bug pictures lately, maybe because there were so many of them in the fifties). It is a classic, as you say, and one of the few films from that era that people can't really make fun of even now, because it touches on some very serious aspects of the human condition and perhaps some metaphysical questions. Scott Carey's condition is too close to real life afflictions such as cancer or dementia to be any laughing matter; it's a sober approach to possible dangers in the new nuclear era (instead of big bugs, a human is affected). Sure, there were no computer FX back then, but for its time, the film's fantastic settings awed audiences in the fifties - the whole scenario in the now-gigantic basement - many viewers back then were probably wondering how the hell they did it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That anniversary edition nonsense is just a "special" cover art that celebrates Universal turning 100 years as a studio. I hate it, since it has nothing to do with the movies themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 am 
El Cid

This is at least the 2nd time this eerie thing has happened on this board - I think the last time we were discussing Ray Bradbury.

Now, just after we brought up discussion of The Incredible Shrinking Man, I find out that writer Richard Matheson died yesterday, at age 87. I'm going to reread his novel and maybe watch the film again today or tomorrow. I also wrote about this in The Omega Man thread -- Matheson wrote the novel I am Legend. The earliest work of his I may have seen was either a Twilight Zone episode or "The Enemy Within" - an early episode of Star Trek TOS>
________ Image "I SAID - Give Me Some BRANDY..!" Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

That is eerie. R.I.P.

Enemy Within is not one of my favorite Star Trek episodes, but a very good one, also very iconic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:12 am 
El Cid

TIME TO ADD TO THIS THREAD... This Time with... The FLY :!: (from 1958)

Though this is best known for its horror, it also makes use of the sci-fi premise of teleportation, best known as the transporter system later employed as casual transportation on Star Trek TOS in 1966. In this film, a scientist (David Hedison, credited as Al Hedison) invents this mechanism for transporting matter instantaneously, but encounters a horrific mishap when he transports himself with, unknowingly, a common house fly. When he comes out the other end, he has the head and claw of a fly. The fly, meanwhile, flies off with his head and arm (greatly miniaturized).
ImageImage
This is in color and is quite faithful to the original short story - its takes place in France. The middle of the film is a flashback to the fateful events. Vincent Price plays the scientist's brother. It's a striking combo of sci-fi & horror. There was a sequel the next year, in b&w, Return of the Fly - not as good - and a Cronenberg remake in 1986.
Image HELP ME..! HELP ME :!:
Flies have to watch out for spiders... David Hedison became famous for his regular role on the TV series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and later as Felix Leiter in a couple of James Bond films, but many people still regard his role in this as a highlight of his career.
There was a book published only a few years ago, The Fly at Fifty, devoted just to this film. :scared:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 pm 
Damned Dirty Admin

Chrysagon wrote:
There was a book published only a few years ago, The Fly at Fifty, devoted just to this film. :scared:

Did not know this, sounds like a good present to a friend of mine who is a fan.

First memories I have of The Fly is watching the remake when I was very young, too young to fully appreciate it and the Cronenberg touch. I didn't see the original until much, much later. I would also call it a horror over sci-fi but it definitely fits the bill in this thread.

I've tried to get a hold of this box set for a while now with no luck:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 am 
El Cid

That looks like an interesting set - I'm not familiar with it. Does it have all the Fly films, old and new, or just the remake?
The one I don't have is Curse of the Fly, which was a later sequel in the sixties that concentrated on the problems of teleportation and moved away from Fly monsters.

Here's another set I just noticed at Amazon.com: Image
http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Collectors-Pl ... lector+set
It's some rare DVD set from Japan - a bit too pricey for me - $176,468.14 :!: :saywhat:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Woah, woah, woah, woah. Hold on now. Is that 176 thousand dollars?! That surely must be a mistake on his part :lol:

That box set I posted contains all the movies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next