Charlton Heston Forums

The only forum on the internet dedicated to Charlton Heston
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Charlton Heston Forums - The only forum on the internet dedicated to the legendary actor Charlton Heston!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 1968 NBC TV Show: Maxwell Anderson's "Elizabeth and Essex"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:12 am 
No Water For Me

Maxwell Anderson's "Elizabeth and Essex" was shown on U.S. television in 1968; did anyone see it at the time?

As I remember it it was shown on television only once, and I have never seen it since. Does anyone know whether it ever reshown?

I believe it was a "Hallmark Hall of Fame" show.

Mr. Heston's leading lady was Dame Judith Anderson, who was Elizabeth I. Mr. Heston's role was acted in a nice, naturalistic style. Dame Judith's was quite a bit more theatrical, which is normal as that was her acting background. As I was a teen at the time what I remember was the age differential between Dame Judith (nearly 70) and Mr. Heston, who was in his 40s. It did not shy away from that fact.

The show was on video, as I remember it, and it was not filmed. It was (I believe) shot in a soundstage and had no exterior shots.

Finally, I remember it being shown during regular TV hours during a time when situation comedies reigned. I don't believe that would occur on network television today (cable - maybe!).

Post subject: Re: 1968 NBC TV Show: Maxwell Anderson's "Elizabeth and Ess
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 am 
Prince Judah

That is news to me! I have not heard that Chuck played such a role, before I saw your post. Was he playing Essex in this show?

Oh, and Welcome to the forums from a fellow-member.

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:30 pm 
No Water For Me

Thanks for the welcome!

It looks like "Elizabeth and Essex" was taped in late October 1967 (according to "The Actor's Life: Journals 1956-1976", page 282) and Mr. Heston promoted it in early 1968 (page 288). This leads me to think that it was shown in early 1968. 1967 and 1968 were very busy years for the actor, so he may not have seen the broadcast and as a result didn't notate it. Yes, Mr. Heston played Essex, he deemed his performance as being "fairly good" and that Dame Judith was "marvelous." (I don't know whether he further wrote about "Elizabeth and Essex" in his autobiography, "In the Arena".) This does confirm that the show was produced as part of the Hallmark Hall of Fame series.

His remarks on Essex upon studying the role are interesting: (page 281). "I don't like him, or don't like much of him, but I see him." Page 282: "I think Essex is progressing a little. He's a lighter man than I am, but there's a certain sanguinity of character that I can relate to."

Here is a link to a possible sales site: http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-The-Que ... B0010QAVQ6 Many TV networks were unable or unwilling to store the early generation of videotapes, but it looks like this one survived. Hopefully those who wish to purchase it have a functioning VCR and are willing to purchase the broadcast at a fairly high cost. Hopefully one of these days "Elizabeth and Essex" will pop up on DVD format and at a moderate cost, or will appear on cable TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 am 
Damned Dirty Admin

Thanks for contributing with all this information, Joots, and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:39 am 
Prince Judah

Yes, thanks for all this info, Joots -- btw, I think the page numbers you were referring to are actually #382 and #388; that's the way it is in my copy, at least. For some reason, this telefilm is called "Elizabeth the Queen" at various sites; maybe the title changed somewhere down the line. Just the other day, the old version with Bette Davis & Errol Flynn from the late thirties was being advertised on the TCM channel, I think. It's tempting to buy that VHS version you pointed out - it's rare stuff - but 50 bucks or more for a VHS tape..! :o I dunno.. I gotta think this one over...Image
This was Heston's last television work for a long time, probably until the early eighties.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm 
Prince Judah

A rather solid and heavy brick for thy castle, Knight!

I know this Man!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 am 
Michelangelo

Chrysagon wrote:
Yes, thanks for all this info, Joots -- btw, I think the page numbers you were referring to are actually #382 and #388; that's the way it is in my copy, at least. For some reason, this telefilm is called "Elizabeth the Queen" at various sites; maybe the title changed somewhere down the line. Just the other day, the old version with Bette Davis & Errol Flynn from the late thirties was being advertised on the TCM channel, I think. It's tempting to buy that VHS version you pointed out - it's rare stuff - but 50 bucks or more for a VHS tape..! :o I dunno.. I gotta think this one over...Image
This was Heston's last television work for a long time, probably until the early eighties.

Probably my copy of 'The Actor of Life' is the same edition as Forum member Joots' copy. Heston's Jounrals on the the dates Oct 13, Oct 23, Oct 28 and Oct 31 in 1967 are on the page 282 and January 19 in 1968 is on the page p286.

Heston mentioned about the production of 'Essex' on p282. The promotion of 'Elizabeth and Essex' on p286. I supposed that they were the working titles (or 'alias') of 'Elizabeth of the Queen'

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 am 
Prince Judah

CHfan2010 wrote:
Chrysagon wrote:
-- btw, I think the page numbers you were referring to are actually #382 and #388; that's the way it is in my copy, at least.

Probably my copy of 'The Actor of Life' is the same edition as Forum member Joots' copy. Heston's Jounrals on the the dates Oct 13, Oct 23, Oct 28 and Oct 31 in 1967 are on the page 282 and January 19 in 1968 is on the page p286.

Heston mentioned about the production of 'Essex' on p282. The promotion of 'Elizabeth and Essex' on p286. I supposed that they were the working titles (or 'alias') of 'Elizabeth of the Queen' :cheers:

Huh -- I suppose that's the difference between the hardcover and paperback editions? (mine is the paperback). Strange - an even 100-page difference; that's why I assumed it was a typo ('3' instead of '2'). Live and learn... :-?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 pm 
Michelangelo

Chrysagon wrote:
Huh -- I suppose that's the difference between the hardcover and paperback editions? (mine is the paperback). Strange - an even 100-page difference; that's why I assumed it was a typo ('3' instead of '2'). Live and learn... :-?

Indeed, it's strange. The diffenence of the page numbers are 100!
My copy of 'The Actor's Life' is the hard-copy.
:cheers: